action in pursuit of ends

< Previous | Next >

scarlett_dream

Russian
Could you explain to me please, what does the word ends imply here? I understand everything but I don't get the sense of the phrase "action in the pursuit of ends":

When one speaks of moral, one refers to human conduct. This implies action of many kinds, which in turn depends upon the mind and the brain. So that in speaking of morals one must remember that there is a direct connection between morality and brain development. Conduct is said to be action in pursuit of ends, and if this is so, then we must hold the irresponsibility and recklessness in our action is immoral, while responsibility and forethought put into action for the benefit of the individual and the race becomes in the highest sense the finest kind of morality.

• curb05

English - England
    Hi,

The phrase 'action in pursuit of ends' means to act in the present to secure an aim you have in the future.

For example, if you wanted to go on a round-the-world trip, working as many hours as you physically could to get the money you needed would be a means (working) to an end (trip).

It can also be phrased as 'the means to an end'.

Hope this helped.

scarlett_dream

Russian
    It really did! Thank you so much. It's just strange they didn't use the word result instead, for example. Or at least the singular form, cause ends sounds strange, as if there could be many...

marcin k

Poland, polish
    I think the phrase means doing things to earn money - the word ends probably comes from make ends meet - and securing ends is probably an equivalent of making ends (meet).

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I think the phrase means doing things to earn money - the word ends probably comes from make ends meet - and securing ends is probably an equivalent of making ends (meet).
    I don't believe these meanings of "ends" are closely related.

In the original context, you could replace "ends" with "objectives" or "aims".

The "ends" in "make both ends meet" relates to making total income match total expenditure.
    One end is the total expenditure.
    The other end is total income.
    If both ends meet, income = expenditure.

< Previous | Next >