Action

Discussion in 'English Only' started by namlan, Jan 1, 2008.

1. namlan Banned

Vietnam
    - Ok Mary! If breaking up makes you happy and more comfortable, just do it at once.

- Instead of this, can I say "....................., just do it right away / just action!"?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

2. mogador Senior Member

Marseille, France
    FRENCH AND US
    I would say "... just go ahead !"

3. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Yes - I think "just go ahead" is best here too. "Just do it at once" and the other suggestions sound strange to me - not wrong but not idiomatic either.

4. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    I can't go along with "Just action!", I'm afraid. This kind of statement requires a verb, and although "to action" is a verb (if you must!) it's used transitively; in any case is not suitable in this context. I guess you could say "Just act!", but that would not be particularly idiomatic, and is also ambiguous (i.e. as in "pretend"; "play a part").

You could simply say "just do it!".

5. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    I agree, "action" does not work.

"Just do it" (sounds like an advertising slogan)

"Get it over with" (sounds OK to me)

"Go ahead, make my day." (sounds like Clint Eastwood)

"[Do] Whatever you want" (the way I would say--I'd drop the "do" in conversation".

6. Franglais Maestro

Franglais Maestro Senior Member

Yorkshire
    England English
    Hi Namlan
    'action' used as a verb is, in my experience, only used as business jargon. It means 'do' but business people love to contort the English language and use other words to make things sound important. To 'action' something would not be used in everyday language.