activate someone to do something

Edifiemoi

Wolof-French
Hello!

I am translating a training manual from English to French. I am running into the word "activate" and I am not quite sure if I am rendering it well. Here are the sentence in English and my translations in French:

1) Leaders are taught to activate and to empower parents to take on biblical role of Father/Son in Matthew 11:25-30, which points back to Mal 3:23-24.
On apprend aux leaders à encourager et à mettre en capacité les parents [...]

2) God is activating children to pray “His Kingdom come”
Dieu est en train de toucher les enfants à prier "Que Son Royaume vienne"

I am will be delighted to have your help with these use of "activate"

Thank you

• ScrapPaper

English - Canadian
    The original English is very poorly written, but in the first sentence "activate" seems to be mean "motivate."
    (Note: "to take on the biblical role".)

I don't understand the second sentence at all.

Are you sure the English text is not itself a translation from another language?

Edifiemoi

Wolof-French
    Thank you much ScrapPaper. My wife said also that the English is poorly written, but it is the original language. With the first sentence, I can use "motiver" to render "activate". About the second sentence. I am giving you the whole paragraph and my translation of it to see if it helps. I do appreciate your insight.

2) God is activating children to pray “His Kingdom come” in ways the church has never seen before. The SureFire Prayer Family Guidebook is a set of keys in the hands of parents, children and ministry leaders that will help each unlock doors and opportunities for this up-coming generation.

Dieu est en train d'nciter les enfants à prier "Que Son Royaume vienne" d'une manière que l'église n'avait jamais vu auparavant. Le Guide de Prière Infaillible
    Pour La Famille est un jeu de clés entre les mains des parents, des enfantset des responsables de ministères qui vont chacune aider à ouvrir des portes et
    perspectives pour cette génération montante.

I have replaced "toucher" with "inciter". "Pousser" may be also another possibility.

Andre 3000

English - United Kingdom
    I think you could equally say 'God is inspiring children to pray "His Kingdom Come".'

I might also be tempted to say 'God is inspiring children to say 'The Lord's Prayer'. (This sounds less 'clunky')

Kelly B

USA English
    Inciter seems like it'd be pretty close in tone to the original, to me, but I agree the original is weird in the first place.

Edifiemoi

Wolof-French
    Inciter seems like it'd be pretty close in tone to the original, to me, but I agree the original is weird in the first place.
    I did end up using "inciter'. Thank you for your insight.

I think you could equally say 'God is inspiring children to pray "His Kingdom Come".

I might also be tempted to say 'God is inspiring children to say 'The Lord's Prayer'. (This sounds less 'clunky')
    Thank you. I am going to stay with "inciter"

< Previous | Next >