activate the elderly

< Previous | Next >

cointi

Polish
Hello everyone,

Our association's main goal is to activate the elderly through workshops and discussion groups.

It's a self-made sentence. I am not sure if the verb "activate" can be used in this context.

Last edited:
  • sdgraham

USA English
    It sounds really strange to me. I might be old, but I'm not hovering in a state of suspended animation awaiting "activation." ;)

("Activate" doesn't mean "engage in activities.")

Others might feel differently.

Try energize

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I am not sure if the verb "activate" can be used in this context.
    You cannot. You cannot "activate" people.You can activate machines and ideas.

Activate - to start the specifically intended function of something. (People do not have this "specifically intended function.")

"He activated the timing device on the bomb."
    "She activated her idea of selling kisses to sailors."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Our association's main goal is to activate the elderly through workshops and discussion groups. :cross:
    Our association's main goal is to encourage the elderly to be active through workshops and discussion groups. :tick:
    Our association's main goal is to encourage activity in the elderly through workshops and discussion groups. :tick:

kentix

English - U.S.
    Our association's main goal is to promote activity in the elderly through workshops and discussion groups. :tick:

DavidSco

English - Scotland
    If your aim is a political one, that is, to turn the elderly into activists (Grey Power!) then I think it would be fine.

If, as in post #5, it is to encourage physical activity, no.

< Previous | Next >