Active and Passive Voice

Mr.Learner

India-English & Hindi
Hi Friends,
I red the following sentence and I want to convert this into active voice but I am not able to do so.

Charminar, Hyderabad, has been called the heritage of India.

Can I write as

I have called Charminar, Hyderabad the heritage of India
or is there any way to write?

I tried a lot but didn't understand how to convert this into active voice.

• sdgraham

USA English
    The problem with a non-specific passive voice is that it avoids the detail provided by the subject of an active-voice sentence - which is why journalists are taught to avoid it.

So, in order to solve your question, you need to know who called that person or place the 'heritage of India' in order to be correct.

Normally, the use of the passive in the manner of your sample refers to some third party rather than the speaker.

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    This is one case in which the passive voice is most appropriate, but you could say "Many have called "Charminar, Hyderabad," the heritage of India."

Mr.Learner

India-English & Hindi
    Hi all,
    there is no third person mentioned in the sentence, that is the reason I am seeking the help from you people.

Thanks in advance

boozer

Bulgarian
    Oh, of course, I totally agree with both sdgraham and cyberpedant.

On the one hand, you are required to know who actually did that to be able to accurately convert from passive to active voice.

On the other hand, if there is no way for you to know that, the passive voice remains the best choice. It is, indeed, a wonderful shield in a langiage that always requires a subject in every sentence :)

< Previous | Next >