active participle

< Previous | Next >

Anatoli

Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
Hi all,

I read that active participles are created using pattern فاعِل faa2il-, e.g. دَخَلَ -> داخِلٌ. Is حمل (Hamala) different? Looks a regular form I verb. However, "he was carrying" is كان يحمل (kaana yaHmil), which is a different pattern.

:)

• Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Abu Rashid is right. The sentence كان يحمل (kaana ya7milu) means "he used to carry." The copula كان plus the imperfect form of the verb (here يحمل of حمل) is used to express a lasting, repeated, or usual action in the past.

Please don't confuse the different English and Arabic grammars. English -ing isn't necessarily an active particple, but may also be a gerund or - like here - the continuous form of the verb. :)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Please don't confuse the different English and Arabic grammars.
    The importance of this advice cannot be emphasized enough.

The Arabic active participle corresponds to many different grammatical constructions in English, one of which is the -ing form in certain contexts.

My advice to you would be to learn the different uses of the active participle without expecting a one-to-one correspondence with English or any other language.

Anatoli

Thanks, guys. I wasn't confusing the grammars, I was trying to understand a sentence (not from a grammar book) but couldn't find which pattern it falls under. Thanks for the explanations. What's the grammar name for this form? :)

Anatoli

It would be كانَ حامِلاً "kaana Haamilan", as I now understand. :)

Here's about the form I confused with present participle:

"The form كانَ يفْعَلُ should be employed if a routine or repeated action from the past is described; it can often be translated by "he used to...".

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    That's correct. The predicate (خبر) or and verbal nouns (مصدر) after kaana كان has to be in the accusative (مفعول), whereas the subject (مبتدأ) has to remain in the nominative (رفع). Thus, your sentence would read like this:

.هو) كان حاملا)
    (huwa) kaana 7aamilan.

Anatoli

I thought so too at first and posted with the correct accusative endings initially, since I remembered this rule (kaana + accusative) but I misread the textbook ??? and I corrected it.

Thanks again. :)

< Previous | Next >