activist

< Previous | Next >

Sophos

UK, English.
Hello,

could anyone please tell me how to translate 'activist' and 'activists' into Arabic?

Thank you!

• zooz

Arabic & Syrian Arabic
    A context would always help, if you have any.

activist (sm): ناشط
    activist (fm): ناشطة
    activists (pm): ناشطون
    activists (pf): ناشطات

Sophos

UK, English.
    Thank you for your help. The context is "leftwing activists" - I don't know if that changes anything....?

xebonyx

TR/AR/EN
    A couple of questions: If we're talking plurals(activists) why wouldn't ناشطون be used? Is it because the adjective itself defines it as being plural?

Also, why is it yasaariiyiin and not "....oon"? The poster didnt specify if the phrase was being cast into the accusative or genitive state.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I think Haroon use the يساريين instead of يساريون by influence of our dialect, where we -automatically- put the plurals in the نصب/جر form.

As for نشطاء , this is the plural mostly used in Egyptian newspapers, and maybe in other countries too. Unfortunately, I don't have an explanation why نشطاء is preferred over ناشطون .

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    Interestingly, according to معجم الغني, the word ناشطون is the plural of ناشط but the word نشطاء is the plural of the adjective نشيط (someone who is active or zealous). It seems like ناشط and نشيط are synonyms, so it is probably just chance that in some places the plural of one word is used over the plural of another.

Wadi Hanifa

Arabic
    Interestingly, according to معجم الغني, the word ناشطون is the plural of ناشط but the word نشطاء is the plural of the adjective نشيط (someone who is active or zealous). It seems like ناشط and نشيط are synonyms, so it is probably just chance that in some places the plural of one word is used over the plural of another.
    نشيط صيغة مبالغة من ناشط. So, not exactly synonyms. I would use ناشطون, and I think نشطاء is a common error والله أعلم.

zooz

Arabic & Syrian Arabic
    نشيط صيغة مبالغة من ناشط. So, not exactly synonyms. I would use ناشطون, and I think نشطاء is a common error والله أعلم.
    That's interesting indeed, Clev. Now you mentioned it, I believe the two words actually are not synonyms. ناشط is activist and نشيط is vigorous, dynamic or energetic.

Josh_

U.S., English
    That's interesting indeed, Clev. Now you mentioned it, I believe the two words actually are not synonyms. ناشط is activist and نشيط is vigorous, dynamic or energetic.
    Yes, ناشط as activist and نشيط as active is how I've always understood it.

< Previous | Next >