actor slash model [meaning?]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by 214973, Oct 11, 2011.

1. 214973 New Member

chinese
    What does "actor slash model" mean?

2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Please note that we require full context and source before we can help you.

3. 214973 New Member

chinese
    Thank you! It's from TV Series 'Friends'

(Joey enters. His face looks abnormally colorful.)
    Chandler: And this from the cry-for-help department. Are you wearing makeup?
    Joey: Yes, I am. As of today, I am officially Joey Tribbiani, actor slash model.
    Chandler: That's so funny, 'cause I was thinking you look more like Joey Tribbiani, man slash woman.

<moderator note: excess quotation removed. A maximum of four lines of quoted material is allowed, per forum rules.>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
  4. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    This is transcribed speech. "Actor slash model" is how someone would say what we would normally write as "actor/model." That means someone who is both an actor and a model.

5. 214973 New Member

chinese
    then what does slash here mean?

6. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod (English Only)

It is a way of pronouncing the title as it appears on paper: "actor / model". It's often said in a humorous way because people who have multiple careers are not very good at any of them.

7. 214973 New Member

chinese
    Oh I see. Thank all of you!

8. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Uh, are sometimes, or often, not very good? Actor/comedian/writer Steve Martin just won an award for bluegrass banjo.

9. JamesM

Sorry... that's what I meant. Misplacement of the "often". There are some who are absolutely brilliant. However, it's often a form of posing to make oneself seem more important. You have to grant me that, Parla. ;)

10. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, they can be not very good - but not necessarily so, particularly if we are talking about related professions. We often hear about singer/songwriters (also written singer-songwriters).

The punctuation is not always read out, and if it is, there can be some variation. BrE users have also begun to use slash, but traditionally stroke would have been used. I might just read it out as 'actor model' or 'actor and model'.

11. JamesM

"Singer-songwriter" is actually a particular subset of songwriters. It's rare that a singer-songwriter sings songs written by someone else. A singer-songwriter usually sings his or her own work.

12. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    It means "and." This usage is common; consider "client/server computing," which is an approach to information system design which divides the workload between client computers and server computers.

13. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Part of the joke is that Joey is not very intelligent, and probably has seen the phrase written but never heard it spoken. So he just repeats it as he's seen it written. Monica is making fun of him by doing the same thing with "man slash woman."

14. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    I recall seeing an old Ed Sullivan Show on TV in the 1950s and the spokes-model was reading from the teleprompter which showed, "Here is a band that got its start right after World War II", but which she read (live) "Here is a band that got its start right after World War eye-eye." (It was funny, but it was not a joke.)

I think this time it is a joke. And he is saying as he has seen it written.

15. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Granted, James. ;)