Acts are breaking

< Previous | Next >

serhioses

Russian, Russian - Ukrainian
Hi everyone. I need some help to understand two phrases from a sentence: acts are breaking and a prime slot on a television show.
The original sentence is "I found it really interesting how songs are going viral and acts are breaking not from a prime slot on a television show but just by, erm, music gaining heat online, getting shared around and numbers exponentially growing".
Or if you could rephrase that part it would be great as well.

• lingobingo

English - England
    The phrase “a prime slot on a TV show” doesn’t actually make much sense. A prime slot is the best TV period of the day (say 7 to 9 pm), in the sense that it’s when the largest number of viewers are watching TV — making it a prime slot for advertisers, but also the most expensive! There’s no such thing as a prime slot “on” a show, but the show itself may occupy a prime slot, i.e. be aired between 7 and 9 pm.

Acts are breaking is just an unusual (to me) way of saying that performers/acts are becoming famous (in a certain way).

serhioses

Russian, Russian - Ukrainian
    The phrase “a prime slot on a TV show” doesn’t actually make much sense. A prime slot is the best TV period of the day (say 7 to 9 pm), in the sense that it’s when the largest number of viewers are watching TV — making it a prime slot for advertisers, but also the most expensive! There’s no such thing as a prime slot “on” a show, but the show itself may occupy a prime slot, i.e. be aired between 7 and 9 pm.

Acts are breaking is just an unusual (to me) way of saying that performers/acts are becoming famous (in a certain way).
    That was my concern as well that these phrases are either very weird or, sort of, wrong. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >