actually... I am thinking of going to the movies

< Previous | Next >

mattyyy

English
Dear all,

I recently started trying to speak the language, and am missing one of the 'connector' words that native speakers use often to link phrases naturally (such as 'like' that Anglophones use, or 'actually').

In this particular case, the connector I am looking for is most probably what we would use 'actually' for in English. I hesitate on this point, since what I am really looking for is the Spanish equivalent for the French word 'En fait', which is used very often in French speech and is more polyvalent than 'actually (so any French speakers out there, please do chime in!). For example,

A: Any plans for this weekend?
B: Actually.... I am thinking of going to the movies.

In daily speech, if the 'actually' isn't added in, I just feel like something is missing. Is there a Spanish equivalent for this kind of word? I have been listening a bit on Youtube to Spanish speakers, but haven't seemed to spot such a word.

Thank you so much for your help!
Matthew

(I thought about 'de hecho' as a direct translation of 'en fait', but it seems weird to me to use this in Spanish)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • P3p3

spanish
    In spanish ,those words added in sentences that have no needed meaning (you could not use them and the meaning would remain) are called 'muletas' and change depending on areas and as time goes by.
    This particular 'actually' could be:
    1- If you're looking for a straight translation, you could use in spanish 'de hecho'.
    2- But if you consider just the meaning, avoiding translation, I'd suggest you 'Bueno'.
    Do not think of 'bueno' as a noun or as and adjective...it's only something you say before speaking. You could not use it and the sentence would have the same meaning.

Hope it helps.

nanel

Spanish - Spain
    A few other options, "muletillas" as P3p3 mentioned: pues, la verdad.

A few sentences with the ones I'd use:
    - la verdad es que estoy pensando en irme al cine.
    - pues... Estoy pensando en irme al cine.
    - bueno... Estoy pensando en irme al cine.

Sentence number 2, with "pues", would be the one I'd probably use.

Ferrol

Spanish.España
    A few other options, "muletillas" as P3p3 mentioned: pues, la verdad.

A few sentences with the ones I'd use:
    - la verdad es que estoy pensando en irme al cine.
    - pues... Estoy pensando en irme al cine.
    - bueno... Estoy pensando en irme al cine.

Sentence number 2, with "pues", would be the one I'd probably use.
    :tick:
    Puede haber unas cuantas más
    "Verás....."
    "Ahora que lo dices...."

< Previous | Next >