actually, I speak English way better than Spanish

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by MissWei, Apr 7, 2017.

1. MissWei New Member

English
    My friend (who looks hispanic) wanted us to practice Spanish with a Mexican woman. But my friend speaks very little, almost no Spanish. After she said "Buenos diás, cómo está?', the woman started speaking very fast to her in Spanish. My friend asked me "how do you say 'actually, I speak English way better than Spanish?'"

I told the woman "de hecho habla inglés mejor que español". But she didn't seem to understand me and kept talking in Spanish to my friend! But we knew that she could speak English. Do I use a different word here? Should I have used en realidad? How do you emphasize much better?

[The thread title has been edited to include only the original phrase instead of the attempt at a translation. Kindly remember this for future threads. Lauranazario- moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  2. Fedo_King

Fedo_King Member

Santiago, Chile.
    Español
    "De hecho" is understadable but "en realidad" would be easier for the woman to understand in this situation.

3. This story is hilarious!

I would say another option would be "La verdad es que..."

4. MissWei New Member

English
    That's another good way to say it. Haha, it was so awkward wth me standing on the side and her ignoring me. I really didn't want to embarrass either of them. I could've said "ella no habla ni una gota de español". But I didn't want to offend my friend so I was trying to be careful with my words.

Thanks for confirming this for me. I wasn't sure. It also occurred to me afterwards that en realidad might've been a better choice of words!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  5. MissWei New Member

English
    Could I also say mucho mejor for way better?

6. Fedo_King

Fedo_King Member

Santiago, Chile.
    Español
    No worries. Also, other options for Chileans are "La verdad hablo mucho mejor Inglés" or "En vedad hablo mucho mejor Inglés".

7. Fedo_King

Fedo_King Member

Santiago, Chile.
    Español
    Yes, you can and it is very common.

8. MissWei New Member

English
    Thanks Fedo_King!