Actually Typing

< Previous | Next >

Syd69

Italian
This is the first time I write on this site,so I want to say hello to everybody,I'm Italian and I don't know English really well but I'll try to be clear:
watching an episode of an American sitcom named"The rules of engagement" the characters have this conversation(they're speaking about mobile texts):
- Why do you have such a problem with texting?
I think you don't like pushing
those button with your giant gorilla thumbs.(and people laugh)

(The answer)
-With your baby hands,it's like
you're actually typing.(and people laugh again,but this time I don't get where is the funny thing)
Someone could help me?Nothing worse than hearing people laughing and don't understand why!!!
Thank you. :)

Last edited:
  • sdgraham

USA English
    Welcome to the forum Syd.

In this context, "actually" seems to mean "in reality" or "really."

Please note that the personal pronoun 'I' is capitalized in English, which also is capitalized.

Good luck.

Syd69

Italian
    Thank you for the answer,even if i don't get the funny meaning yet.Could you explain it to me please? :)

andy_westken

As it's quiet, I'll attempt to explain:

The first laugh is because he's been likened to a gorilla (his hands are big, like a gorilla, so he has trouble typing on the small keys of his mobile phone).

The second is the same, but he's been called a baby (his hands are so small, like a baby, that the phone's keyboard is like a computer keyboard to him, and he can therefore type normally).

You're a big, hairy gorilla!! <laugh!!!>
    You're just a baby!! <laugh!!!>

Does this help a bit??

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >