acute pain in fingertip

elroy

Imperfect Mod
US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
I thought you might be referring to frostbite, but Google Translate tells me the Ukrainian term for that is відморожене місце. If I look up зашпори, it gives me spark. :confused:

Frostbite is more than just pain, and it doesn't just affect fingers. Does зашпори refer exclusively to fingers, and is it only about pain?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
English - US
Are you asking how to translate a Ukrainian word into English? If so, the question should be posted in Other Slavic Languages, which is a translation forum. People who know Ukrainian and English participate in that forum, and are better equipped to help you.

If you have a different question, please clarify it.

oveka

Ukraine, Ukrainian
I want to know whether there is such a concept in other languages. In English there is no such word. Does зашпори refer exclusively to fingertip.

English - Canada
What is called acute pain in fingertip from frost?
Ukrainian – зашпори [za'shpory]
I know frostbite to be acute pain from frigid temperatures (cold weather), typically beginning in one's fingertips and toes, the end of one's nose, and later, the larger limbs. It can result in tissue damage, even tissue death (necrosis), and even loss of limbs and feet.

There is another condition called, Raynaud's Syndrome, which does not damage the tissue like frostbite does, but is terribly uncomfortable. Its symptoms begin at much higher temperatures than frostbite symptoms do.

(Sadly, I know no Ukrainian words!)

Hope that helps.
Jaykay:)

oveka

Ukraine, Ukrainian
Jaykay, thanks.
No frostbite, only acute pain from cold temperatures. When it's cold, pain occurs in the limbs of the fingers. We call зашпори.
Ukrainian: зашпори
Russian: Острая боль в пальцах от мороза/acute pain from cold temperatures/ (there is no single word)
English: spark (google error). It is іскра in Ukrainian
Spanish: chispa (google error). Es tambien іскра en Ucraniano. Ningun зашпори.

The question: there is a separate word that calls acute pain in the limbs of the fingers from cold temperatures?

Thanks.

Stoggler

UK English
Limbs of the fingers make no sense. Limbs are the arms or the legs, you cannot have them on fingers. You may wish to rephrase what exactly you mean.

I suspect that languages with a specific word for what you describe are rare. It’s interesting though, having a specific word for that.

oveka

Ukraine, Ukrainian
Sorry. In my language, the tip of the finger has even two names - пучка and животок.
Just say - in xxx(в пучки) xxx(зашпори) have gone (зайшли).

oveka

Ukraine, Ukrainian
Perseas, thanks.
"chilblain n (sore affecting the extremities)" it's an extreme state.
We are talking about the initial phase - just a pain.
Eh... Conflict of civilizations.

Macedonian
What is called acute pain in fingertip from frost?
Ukrainian – зашпори [za'shpory]
In Macedonian it is called подноктица (podnoktica) [pɔd'nɔktit͡sa].
And it is mainly used in plural подноктици (podnoktici) [pɔd'nɔktit͡si].

oveka

Ukraine, Ukrainian
In Macedonian it is called подноктица (podnoktica) [pɔd'nɔktit͡sa].
And it is mainly used in plural подноктици (podnoktici) [pɔd'nɔktit͡si].
The original definition of the state! Thanks.
Біль, від морозу? На вулиці, або коли заходиш в тепле?
(Pain from frost? On the street, or when you go in the warm?)

symposium

Italian - Italy
Can it be the same as Italian "geloni" (gelo=frost, think of gelati)? According to the Internet, that's what happens when passing suddenly from very low temperatures to higher temperatures the blood vessels in your fingers and toes get damaged, swollen etc. Only few people are prone to this condition, they usually suffer from it every winter and it can require medical assistance. It's not a serious condition, but it can get painful.

Macedonian
The original definition of the state! Thanks.
Біль, від морозу? На вулиці, або коли заходиш в тепле?
(Pain from frost? On the street, or when you go in the warm?)
подноктица (podnoktica) [pɔd'nɔktit͡sa] noun, f.
Болка од мраз (смрзнатини, студ), кога си на улица (надвор). Во прстите на рацете и на нозете.
Pain from frostbite when you are outside. In fingertips, but also in toes.

The word подноктица (podnoktica) used in Macedonian literature:

...да ми кажите, зошто печалев со години, зошто ме врнеа дождови, зошто ме лаеја кучиња и горештини, зошто ме касаа вејавици и подноктици, за кого...
"Неверни години", Петре М. Андреевски (1974)

Потоа им го слушам дишењето: тешко, како дување во прсти со подноктица, предишено.

"Пиреј", Петре М. Андреевски (1983)

- Клај му ги во ладна вода прстите, вели Мисајле Ковачот, оти ќе го фати подноктица.

"Пиреј", Петре М. Андреевски (1983)

Не ми даваат да мислам на студот, на подноктицата.

"Небеска Тимјановна", Петре М. Андреевски (1988)

...ќе нуркаш, оддалеченоста од брегот ќе ја одмеруваш по пробивот на сонцето, ако го има по работата на срцето, по подноктиците, перките и алгите, по трагите од морските пци ќе ја унапредуваш техниката отскок на површината...

"Ерато", Катица Ќулавкова (2008)

Мокрите ракавици и чорапи се сушеа од радост и се осеќаше една топла енергија од возбуда се додека не дојде до подмрзнување на нозете и да фатевме подноктици па набрзина да се пресоблечеме, а дома да лажеме дека дојдовме да одиме до тоалет, а притоа цела топла вода од бојлерот ја потрошиш до крај.
Колумна: "Детството кое го поминал секој од нас (многумина ќе се пронајдат)", Дарко Андоновски (2015)

Last edited: