acute pain in fingertip

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by oveka, Feb 3, 2019.

1. oveka Senior Member

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    What is called acute pain in fingertip from frost?
    Ukrainian – зашпори [za'shpory]

2. elroy

elroy Sharp-heeled Mod

Chicago, IL
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I thought you might be referring to frostbite, but Google Translate tells me the Ukrainian term for that is відморожене місце. If I look up зашпори, it gives me spark. :confused:

Frostbite is more than just pain, and it doesn't just affect fingers. Does зашпори refer exclusively to fingers, and is it only about pain?

3. oveka Senior Member

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    Does зашпори refer exclusively to fingertip. It hurts.

4. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    Are you asking how to translate a Ukrainian word into English? If so, the question should be posted in Other Slavic Languages, which is a translation forum. People who know Ukrainian and English participate in that forum, and are better equipped to help you.

If you have a different question, please clarify it.

5. oveka Senior Member

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    I want to know whether there is such a concept in other languages. In English there is no such word. Does зашпори refer exclusively to fingertip.

6. elroy

elroy Sharp-heeled Mod

Chicago, IL
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Are you asking us or telling us?

7. Jaykay1053 Member

English - Canada
    I know frostbite to be acute pain from frigid temperatures (cold weather), typically beginning in one's fingertips and toes, the end of one's nose, and later, the larger limbs. It can result in tissue damage, even tissue death (necrosis), and even loss of limbs and feet.

There is another condition called, Raynaud's Syndrome, which does not damage the tissue like frostbite does, but is terribly uncomfortable. Its symptoms begin at much higher temperatures than frostbite symptoms do.

(Sadly, I know no Ukrainian words!)

Hope that helps.
    Jaykay:)

8. oveka Senior Member

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    Jaykay, thanks.
    No frostbite, only acute pain from cold temperatures. When it's cold, pain occurs in the limbs of the fingers. We call зашпори.
    Ukrainian: зашпори
    Russian: Острая боль в пальцах от мороза/acute pain from cold temperatures/ (there is no single word)
    English: spark (google error). It is іскра in Ukrainian
    Spanish: chispa (google error). Es tambien іскра en Ucraniano. Ningun зашпори.

The question: there is a separate word that calls acute pain in the limbs of the fingers from cold temperatures?

Thanks.

9. Stoggler

Stoggler Senior Member

Sussex, GBR
    UK English
    Limbs of the fingers make no sense. Limbs are the arms or the legs, you cannot have them on fingers. You may wish to rephrase what exactly you mean.

I suspect that languages with a specific word for what you describe are rare. It’s interesting though, having a specific word for that.

10. oveka Senior Member

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    Sorry. In my language, the tip of the finger has even two names - пучка and животок.
    Just say - in xxx(в пучки) xxx(зашпори) have gone (зайшли).

11. Perseas Senior Member

Greece
    Greek
    In Greek we have a relevant word, which does not only refer to pain, but is also connected with redness, itching, inflammation: χιονίστρα [çο'nistra], from χιόνι=snow. The translation in English is "chilblain n (sore affecting the extremities)" ,but I am not sure that you are interested in that.

12. oveka Senior Member

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    Perseas, thanks.
    "chilblain n (sore affecting the extremities)" it's an extreme state.
    We are talking about the initial phase - just a pain.
    Eh... Conflict of civilizations.

13. Circunflejo Senior Member

Castellano de Castilla
  14. Jaykay1053 Member

English - Canada
  15. oveka Senior Member

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    Circunflejo, gracias.
    Sabañón causa hinchazón o ulceración de la piel.
    ЗАШПОРИ es estado cuando en las yemas de dedos (las almohadillas de dedos) se presenta dolor, punzadas solamente. Nosotros decimos en ucraniano "зашпори зайшли"/xxx penetraron/.

16. oveka Senior Member

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    In Spanish: approximately "entumecimiento", meaning a bit wider.