adónde van = go/going

< Previous | Next >

Spanishn00b

English-United States
Hello.

When do you translate voy (or va/vas/van) with "go" or "going"?

For instance, the Spanish sentence is "¿Adonde van?"

Would you translate it as "Where are you (all) going?" (N.B. The lady in the picture asking the question is talking to 2 other people who respond her with: "Vamos al teatro.") or "Where do you (all) go?"

• micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    When the action is taking place exactly at the moment of the conversation. In Spanish we never say "estamos yendo al teatro". It's simply not said. Instead, we use the present tense: "Vamos al teatro" -

- ¿A dónde van? = Where are you going?
    - Al teatro = To the theater.

We do use "estar + -ando, -iendo" with other verbs, though:

"(Me) Estoy comiendo una naranja"

"Qué estás comiendo? - "¿qué comes"? - Both these questions are translated "to be + -ing" in English.

rafajuntoalmar

Castellano (tanto argentino como peninsu
    When the action is taking place exactly at the moment of the conversation. In Spanish we never say "estamos yendo al teatro". It's simply not said. Instead, we use the present tense: "Vamos al teatro" -

- ¿A dónde van? = Where are you going?
    - Al teatro = To the theater.

We do use "estar + -ando, -iendo" with other verbs, though:

"(Me) Estoy comiendo una naranja"

"Qué estás comiendo? - "¿qué comes"? - Both these questions are translated "to be + -ing" in English.

As you say, micafe, if the action is taking place at precisely the same moment of talking, one may well say: "(nos) estamos yendo al teatro". Just imagine this.

The phone rings. Marta, withe her coat already put on answers.
    Raúl: ¿Hola, Marta? ¿Queréis venir a cenar con nosotros?
    Marta: Lo siento, Raúl. Nos estamos yendo al teatro.

or this

Marta and Fernando press through the street. They are late for the play. They run accross María.
    María: ¿Dónde vais con tanta prisa?
    Marta (without stopping): Estamos yendo/Vamos al teatro. Te llamo más tarde.

geostan

English Canada
    Is it the English or Spanish equivalent that Spanishn00b is asking about?

micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    As you say, micafe, if the action is taking place at precisely the same moment of talking, one may well say: "(nos) estamos yendo al teatro". Just imagine this.

The phone rings. Marta, withe her coat already put on answers.
    Raúl: ¿Hola, Marta? ¿Queréis venir a cenar con nosotros?
    Marta: Lo siento, Raúl. Nos estamos yendo al teatro.

or this

Marta and Fernando press through the street. They are late for the play. They run accross María.
    María: ¿Dónde vais con tanta prisa?
    Marta (without stopping): Estamos yendo/Vamos al teatro. Te llamo más tarde.
    Well, it must be a matter of usage in the different countries. I'd never say "nos estamos yendo". Instead, I'd say "estamos saliendo...", "vamos....".

I'd use that construction in the past, though: "Estuvo yendo al médico durante mucho tiempo".
    you don't say "¿adónde están yendo?". ¿Do you ever say "¿adónde están yendo? It sounds terrible to my ears.. :)

In any case, the answer to Spanish00b's question <<When do you translate voy (or va/vas/van) with "go" or "going"? is still the same: When the action is taking place exactly at the moment of the conversation.

The rest of my post was just an addition to explain how the construction was used (or so I thought) in Spanish ;)

juan082937

Banned
    español
    It is common for English learners to drop the "A" and for that to be considered a mistake. I am wondering whether natives ever say ¿Dónde van? for "Where are you going?
    ¿ Adónde van? = a qué lugar
    Adónde= A dónde
    ¿Adónde vamos?
    No sé adónde ir ( indirect question)
    ¿A dónde quieres llegar?

Se debe evitar el uso de adónde, a dónde, sin valor de movimiento

Me preguntó Daniel que adónde había estado = incorrecto
    Me pregunto Daniel en dónde había estado = correcto

No es gramatical preceder de preposición adónde, a dónde
    salgo sin despedirme y sin saber HACIA adónde voy/a dónde voy.

No es incorrecta estar precedida de preposición cuando es término de la preposición en interrogativas INDIRECTAS.
    María no tiene ni idea de adónde van a parar sus tapetes
    Le interroga de adónde va

BLT

English - US (Texas)
    "¿Adonde van?" Would you translate it as "Where are you (all) going?" (N.B. The lady in the picture asking the question is talking to 2 other people who respond her with: "Vamos al teatro.") or "Where do you (all) go?"
    To answer the original question: It really depends on the context (which you may not have, if you're dealing with a picture). The lady could be asking, "Where do you go every Tuesday, between the end of this class and lunch?" (That would be asking about a repeating occurrence.) Or she could be saying, "I notice that you're going somewhere right now. Where are you going?" (That would be asking about an action occurring right now.) Or, it could be that she hears them discussing plans to borrow someone's car tonight, and she asks them, "Where are you going?", thinking that she might be able to give them a ride. (That would be discussing a planned action.)

All three of those possibilities (repeating occurrence, action occurring right now, and planned action) can be expressed with the present tense in Spanish, and you would need more context to be sure of which is meant in this instance.

Absent more context, I'd vote that possibility #2 is most likely. :)

< Previous | Next >