Ad boredom

< Previous | Next >

Adam Cruge

Banned
India & Bengali
"One thing that I keep repeating "ad boredom" is the fact that some people will agree with all these things, but never apply them."

What is the meaning of "ad boredom"?

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    "One thing that I keep repeating "ad boredom" is the fact that some people will agree with all these things, but never apply them."

What is the meaning of "ad boredom"?
    I think it may be a gloss on ad nauseam.

i.e. I don't think it has anything to do with advertisements, though that is an ingenious theory.

owlman5

English-US
    I think it may be a gloss on ad nauseam.

i.e. I don't think it has anything to do with advertisements, though that is an ingenious theory.
    Hello, Thomas. I'm so impressed by your theory that I'm deleting my previous comment.

Hello, Adam. Ad nauseam = "until you're sick of it".

Last edited:

Adam Cruge

Banned
    India & Bengali
    Thank you all.
    So in "ad boredom", "ad" comes from Latin meaning "to" and "ad boredom" means "to boredom", that is synonymous to "ad nauseam".

Right?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, that seems to be right.

It is a small joke. Ad nauseam is a Latin phrase (adopted into English). Boredom is not Latin, but he is treating it as though it were.

Loob

English UK
    So in "ad boredom", "ad" comes from Latin meaning "to" and "ad boredom" means "to boredom", that is synonymous to "ad nauseam".
    The usual expression is ad nauseam. The writer invented ad boredom as a variation on ad nauseam: it was presumably intended to be amusing.

EDIT: As Cagey has already said:D.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >