ad free quotation

< Previous | Next >

andersxman

Denmark/danish
I've come across the above. Apparantly it means a quotation that is based on some other famous enouncement/statement/excerpt whatever, and slightly modified for a specific occasion. I don't know if it's clear what I mean.

I'll try to make an example, it's really lame, I do appologize:
Churchill said (more or less): "neve before in history have so many owed so much to so few"

Now, X owes a lot of money to Y an Z, and says "never before have so few owed so much to so many", slightly changing it to fit the present circumstance, but not to the extent of rendering it unrecognisable... sort of joking, would that be an "ad free quotation"...? Or what would you call such a quotation?

• GenJen54

USA - English
    To be honest, I've never heard the expression "ad free quotation." Perhaps others have.

If I am willingly about to butcher or change someone else's quote to suit my own needs, I usually say something like, "With apologies to Sir Winston Churchill..."

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi Andersxman,
    I agree with GenJen. The example you have given is not an ad free quotation. Rather, it is a quote that has been slightly distorted or modified to suit an occasion. The original is so well known that it will resonate with the listener, and that's the source of both the effectiveness and the added spice or humor in the newer, revised version.

I don't know of any specific name for this.

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Officially it's called paraphrasing someone (in this case for example I would probably say :"Paraphrasing Sir Churchill, "never before have so few owed so much to so many" ")

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Could this "ad free" be mangled Latin?
    My immediate thought was "an ad lib quotation", but in running through the "ad" entries, I see in Chambers ad modum - after the manner (of). That seems to be a very likely candidate for the correct expression. But, how someone could have come to mangle it into "ad free" is not leaping lightly to mind right now.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    panjandrum said:
    For information.
    Sir Winston or Sir Winston Churchill, never Sir Churchill.
    I did not know this.
    I have not before heard reference to his knighthood..,,
    Jeeze you learn something from some people even when you are not trying.

< Previous | Next >