ad hoc increases

Matanada

France and French
Would anyone help me with this specific word "ad hoc" with regards to salaries schemes?

"After years of ad hoc increases, a wage of indexation formula was introduced in 1991, but was then changed several times."

Thank you very much,

• carolineR

France
    des augmentations ponctuelles ? décidées au coup par coup ?
    l'idée est que les augmentations en question n'ont pas été planifiées, mais ont été improvisées, pour répondre à une demande :)

Matanada

France and French
    Thank you very much to both of you. That's what I guessed before but I was unsure. Everything's become clear.
    To Teafrog, I did check the WD before but it's a bit too limited and the French translation of this word seems to be uadequate to this sentence "de circonstances". It wouldn't match with "increases."
    Best regards to both of you.

carolineR

France
    To Teafrog, I did check the WD before but it's a bit too limited and the French translation of this word seems to be uadequate to this sentence "de circonstances". It wouldn't match with "increases."
    I agree with you ; that's why I didn't suggest "ad hoc"
    I also find the English use of ad hoc is not exactly identical to ours

Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    I agree with you ; that's why I didn't suggest "ad hoc"
    I also find the English use of ad hoc is not exactly identical to ours
    I grant you the WR has it's limitations… :p
    What is the difference? I may be missing something, but I have been under the impression that it was identical, since it is Latin.
    I would have said: "Après des années d’augmentations ad hoc", or, "Après des années d’augmentations sur mesure" (if you are allergic to "ad hoc").
    Ad hoc in BE
    Ad hoc in Fr
    :confused:

carolineR

France
    I am not allergic to "ad hoc" at all. :) I simply feel when ad hoc is used in English, the stress is often more on "improvised or impromptu" than on "for or concerned with one specific purpose" , when in French I have the feeling it only means "for or concerned with one specific purpose" :)

Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    I am not allergic to "ad hoc" at all. :) I simply feel when ad hoc is used in English, the stress is often more on "improvised or impromptu" than on "for or concerned with one specific purpose" , when in French I have the feeling it only means "for or concerned with one specific purpose" :)
    Mmh, I am puzzled. I would say that in English "ad hoc" is more like "as and when", "when the situation dictates" rather than "improvised". Did you have a look at the links I provided? I still feel the French and English have the same meaning. :)

carolineR

France
    I may be wrong, and as I said it's just a feeling. But it seems to me when I met "ad hoc" in the past I often felt English-speaking and French-speaking people did not use the phrase exactly alike. Unfortunately, I am incapable of providing any evidence of this as it occured several times but I never wrote anything down. :)

< Previous | Next >