ad hoc

< Previous | Next >

Zvonda

Czech Republic, Czech
Hello,
c an you have a look at the following sentence whether I put ad hoc correctly here? I am trying to say that competent bodies authorized only some medical institutions where new doctors can be trained (and this training is then officially recognized).
Specialized medical instruction included theoretical and practical training in medical institutions approved ad hoc by competent bodies.

• gasman

Canada, English
    I really don't think you need the term for such a situation. It means for a specific situation, basically, and that has already been described.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with gasman.

ad hoc may not be the term you want in any case. It is generally used to refer to some procedure or committee that is set up for a specific occasion, as opposed to one that is established as an official and ongoing body. If you mean that these bodies authorized the training on a regular basis, they were not acting ad hoc. If they were assembled to rule on specific cases and then disbanded, then they were ad hoc bodies, or acting ad hoc.

winklepicker

English (UK)
    Hello,
    c an you have a look at the following sentence whether I put ad hoc correctly here? I am trying to say that competent bodies authorized only some medical institutions where new doctors can be trained (and this training is then officially recognized).
    Specialized medical instruction included theoretical and practical training in medical institutions approved ad hoc by competent bodies.
    If what you want to say is that "competent bodies authorized only some medical institutions where new doctors can be trained (and this training is then officially recognized)" why don't you just go ahead and say it?

Trying to translate it into something else only obscures the meaning.

EDIT: Ah! Of course, maybe you WANT to obscure the meaning? :D

< Previous | Next >