ad hoc

< Previous | Next >
  • cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Greetings coup de feu,

Welcome to the forums.

Try our dictionaries, up at the top of the page. The English Monolingual Dictionary offers the following: (It's Latin)

Adapted From: WordNet 2.0 Copyright 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

ad_hoc
    A adjective
    1 ad_hoc
    for or concerned with one specific purpose; "a coordinated policy instead of ad hoc decisions"

2 ad_hoc
    often improvised or impromptu; "an ad hoc committee meeting"

B adverb
    1 ad_hoc
    for one specific case; "they were appointed ad hoc"
    I'll move this thread over to the English forum.

regards,
    Cuchuflete

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    coup de feu said:
    What does "ad hoc" mean, and what language is it?

Thanks.
    It means for the specific purpose, case, or situation at hand and for no other.

It is English but it originally comes from Latin.

Phryne

Argieland--Esp/Eng
    elroy said:
    It means for the specific purpose, case, or situation at hand and for no other.

It is English but it originally comes from Latin.
    Hi Elroy, ad hoc is actually used in many languages. I'm not sure what happened here, but since coup de feu posted it originally in the Spanish forum, maybe s/he took it from a text in Spanish ... :confused: Anyway, many languages use ad hoc, not only English ...

saludos :)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Phryne said:
    Hi Elroy, ad hoc is actually used in many languages. I'm not sure what happened here, but since coup de feu posted it originally in the Spanish forum, maybe s/he took it from a text in Spanish ... :confused: Anyway, many languages use ad hoc, not only English ...

saludos :)
    By saying it was an English word, I didn't mean that it didn't exist in any other language. And I did mention that the origin of the word was Latin.

The only answer I could give with confidence was English because I didn't know what other languages it existed in.

Sorry for the confusion.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Artrella said:
    ad-hoc is Latin, in England or anywhere.
    Yes, but it has been accepted as English (the same probably applies to many other languages as well!)

coup de feu

America, english
    I took it from a french text, I thought I poasted it origanaly in "general vocab". It was not in my english nor french dictonarys so I took it here. I know "ad" means "at" in latin, didn't know what "hoc" ment.

Thanks everyone, you are verry helpfull.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    coup de feu said:
    I took it from a french text, I thought I poasted it origanaly in "general vocab". It was not in my english nor french dictonarys so I took it here. I know "ad" means "at" in latin, didn't know what "hoc" ment.

Thanks everyone, you are verry helpfull.
    Hi Coup!! This is for you... :)

Definition
    ad hoc [Show phonetics]
    adjective [before noun]
    made or happening only for a particular purpose or need, not planned in advance:
    an ad hoc committee/meeting
    We deal with problems on an ad hoc basis (= as they happen).

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello MaeLace, and welcome to WordReference.
    Ad means to; ergo, ad hoc means to this.
    Hence its use to describe something that has been set up "to this end", for this purpose, etc, as above.

Loob

English UK
    Ivan, if you put ad hoc into the Dictionary and thread title search box at the top of the page and then click the in context button, you'll be taken to lots of Google News examples of its use:).

< Previous | Next >