Ad nauseum <nauseam> vs hackneyed?

< Previous | Next >

Gauthamenglish

India -English
What’s the difference between these two words? I guess both are having same meaning.
To the best of my knowledge Ad nauseum can be used in lieu of hackneyed but not vice versa cuz hackneyed is just used for ideas and phrases.

I’m still in the state of perplexity. And I’d be grateful, if you shed some light on this difference.

Thanks beforehand.

• heypresto

English - England
    Welcome to the forum. :)

If you enter the words in the search box at the top of this page, you'll find them in our Dictionary. They have very different meanings.

If you are still unsure then please give us a complete sentence in which you might use one of them, and tell us in which situation you might say it.

(Note 'cuz' is not a word in English.)

Gauthamenglish

India -English
    Welcome to the forum. :)

If you enter the words in the search box at the top of this page, you'll find them in our Dictionary. They have very different meanings.

If you are still unsure then please give us a complete sentence in which you might use one of them, and tell us in which situation you might say it.

(Note 'cuz' is not a word in English.)
    Thank you so much for welcoming me here and for your reply. And thanks for reminding me about the word ‘cuz’. I will ensure not to use it again.

Eg:
    This phrase became hackneyed.
    This phrase became ad nauseum.

Which is correct and why?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Ad nauseam (not nauseum) is an adverb.
    Grammatically:
    "This phrase became ad nauseam". :cross:
    "This phrase was (or "is now") used ad nauseam".:tick:
    Ad nauseam means to an excessive extent, while hackneyed just describes a property but does not describe hpw often it is used.

Last edited:

Gauthamenglish

India -English
    Ad nauseam (not nauseum) is an adverb.
    Grammatically:
    "This phrase became ad nauseam". :cross:
    "This phrase was (or "is now") used ad nauseam".:tick:
    Ad nauseam means to an excessive extent, while hackneyed just describes a property but does not describe hpw often it is used.
    Thanks for your reply. And sorry for the typo. Yes, it’s Ad nauseam.
    So the sentence, This phrase became hackneyed is correct, isn’t it?

< Previous | Next >