adamant that

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
What do you guys think of this sentence: "They are
adamant that the work will continue". Do you think They are adamant that the work (shall) continue would work as well? I think I like the version without shall the best, but to tell you the truth, I'm not sure anymore, since I'd probably never say that in real life.

Thanks,

Jazyk

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    It's fine as originally written.

An alternative:

"They are adamant that the work continue."

Depending on context, this may be better or worse.

timpeac

English (England)
    It's fine as originally written.

An alternative:

"They are adamant that the work continue."

Depending on context, this may be better or worse.
    I think I disagree with this. Using the subjunctive suggests some sort of uncertainty (no matter how much they wish it would happen). So for me the following are fine -

They are vocal that the work continue.
    They are desperate that the work continue.
    They are determined that the work continue.

For me "adamant" is a synonym of "won't be dissuaded" and "they won't be dissuaded from the fact that the work continue" sounds strange to me because it sounds as if "they" have the decision making power, removing the uncertainty.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I think I disagree with this. Using the subjunctive suggests some sort of uncertainty (no matter how much they wish it would happen). So for me the following are fine -

They are vocal that the work continue.
    They are desperate that the work continue.
    They are determined that the work continue.

For me "adamant" is a synonym of "won't be dissuaded" and "they won't be dissuaded from the fact that the work continue" sounds strange to me because it sounds as if "they" have the decision making power, removing the uncertainty.
    Try "unyielding" or "uncompromising despite opposition" for adamant.

Here is an invented context, to supplant the invisible context in post #1. :)

A structure is being erected. Weather forecasts are for dangerously high winds.
    Managers have been warned by union leaders of the potential dangers to the
    construction workers, but remain adamant that the work continue.

In the absence of context, as I suggested earlier, we cannot know which sentence will
    be most appropriate.

Giordano Bruno

English, England
    It seems to me that the verb will is predictive whereas shall is determinative.

The forecasters are adamant that the winds will veer.

The workers are adamant that they shall receive their entitlements.

Their was a rule I remember that required shall with first person and will with second and third, but I was never convinced.

< Previous | Next >