adapt from a fairy tale or adapt from fairy tales ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by thien_than_dem, Oct 18, 2014.

1. thien_than_dem Member

Vietnamese
    My friend write a paragraph which have a setence on:
    " Fronzen film is adapted from a fairy tale and so does Tangled film."
    But I think we metion "fairy tale" in general meaning, so we must write "from fairy tales" instead of "from a fairy tale".
    That like the sentence: " Cats are cute".
    We mention "cat" in general meaning, so we must use "cats" instead of "cat".
    And you, what do you think? What should we use?

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    If it is adapted from a single fairy tale – which it probably is – we would use "from a fairy tale."

3. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    Right, Copy, but if it adopted (borrowed) the style of the fairy-tale genre, we would say "...it is adopted from fairy tales". We "adapt ourselves (modify our behavior) to (something, changed circumstances, etc.)".

4. thien_than_dem Member

Vietnamese
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean! Why do you use "adaopted" instead of adapted? Do you make a mistake?

5. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    Hi, thien, I believed you wanted to say 'to adopt' with the meaning "To take up and use as one's own, as an idea, word, or the like" - in this case, the idea for "Fronzen film" is taken from a fairy tale - rather than 'to adapt', 'To adjust to a specified use or situation".

6. thien_than_dem Member

Vietnamese
    Thanks for your response, but I look up "adopt" in Oxford Dictionary, I found "adopt" don't have mean: To take up and use as one's own, as an idea, word, or the like
    . You can go here: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/adopt to see more

7. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    ain'ttranslationfun?'s sentence is about "adopting the style" (using the style of fairy tales in general) not "adapting the story" (changing the story of a particular fairy tail). Two completely different ideas.