Addition facts

Traductora007

Peru/Español
CONTEXT:
it is a description of the mathematics abilities of a second grader:
"fuently solves addition facts to 18"

what is the correct translation of "addition fact"? could it be "suma or "adición". How should i translate the whole sentece?

Thank you.

• Camilo1964

Spanish - Venezuela
    Hola:

En este hilo se discutió bastante sobre el punto y se planteaban varias resoluciones.

Después de leer dicho hilo creo que "addition facts" (y siempre dependiendo del contexto) puede traducirse como "propiedades de la suma o adición".

No se si lo recuerdas, pero a mi en la escuela siempre me repetían lo de las propiedades conmutativas, distributivas y asociativas de las operaciones aritméticas, pero de acordarme sólo recuerdo la conmutativa ("el orden de los factores no altera el producto", es decir, da igual multiplicar 6*8 que 8*6 que el producto siempre será 48; da igual sumar 3 + 2 que 2 + 3, que el resultado siempre será 5).

Espero sea de utilidad.

Saludos,

Camilo

Salegrosso

Verona (Italy)
    "fuently solves addition facts to 18"
    What does 'to 18' mean? Does it perhaps mean that he/she, at the age of 18, was able to solve addition calculations? (I hope an 18-year-old does something more...)
    Or, rather, that he/she can solve additions with up to 18 terms?
    I have never heard this saying in maths.

Could you write the sentence before and after this one?

nomadkite

Argentina-Spanish
    Basic skills are those skills that are used routinely and automatically.The addition facts for 0, through 18 is a math table. Like this
    9+9, 9+8, 9+7, 9+6, 9+5, 9+4, 9+3. 9+2, 9+1, 9+0, 8+9, 8+8, 8+7, 8+6, 8+5, 8+4, 8+3, 8+2, 8+1, 7+7, 7+6, 7+5, 7+4, 7+3, 7+2, 7+1, 7+0, 6+6, 6+5, 6+4, 6+3, 6+2, 6+1, 6+0, 5+5, 5+4, 5+3, 5+2, 5+1, 5+0, 4+4, 4+3, 4+2, 4+1, 4+0, 3+3+, 3+2, 3+1, 3+0, 2+2, 2+1, 2+0, 1+1, 1+0.
    Correct me please if i am wrong.
    Thanks in advance

Salegrosso

Verona (Italy)
    Sorry, Nomadkite, but this doesn't make much sense to me.

What are we speaking about?

I think we have to solve this basic question, in order to be able to try possible translations.
    Instead of guessing, it would be convenient that Traductora007, who knows the original sentence and its context, provides more information.

owlba67

Spanish - El Salvador
    When we speak about addition, subtraction, multiplication facts in the U.S. we are speaking about the facts we memorize since first grade. For example, we memorize our 1s, which means that we memorize that 0+1 = 1, 1+1 = 2, 1+2 = 3 and so on until we "get to" 12 (usually). When we "get to" 12, this means that we are memorizing until 12+1 = 13. So we memorize the sums in between so that we can solve math problems faster. This applies to subtraction (20-0 = 20, 20-1 = 19, etc. until we get to 20-20 = 0. It applies to multiplication (5x0=0, 5x1=5, 5x2=10, etc., usually until 5x12=60. It applies to division 20/1 = 20, 20/2 = 10, etc. until we get to 20/20=1.

So, I have been using tablas de sumar, tablas de restar, tablas de multiplicar, and tablas de dividir.

If I am wrong, please let me know. I've used these terms in letters to elementary school parents in the classes I've taught in, and they seem to know what I'm talking about. I'm in Southern California.

owlba67

Spanish - El Salvador
    "En Wikipedia a las tablas como la de multiplicar las llaman multiplication table o time table."

Se llaman "times tables" porque en ingles decimos:

5 times 4 = 20

:eek:)

< Previous | Next >