addition of/to a pool

manuelmurillo89

Spanish-Spain
Hi!!I have a doubt about the preposition which is after the noun ADDITION: is always OF or TWO, or it could be one of them with different meanings??

For example, in this sentence: "The addition OF a swimming pool has made the hotel much more popular".

Could it be " The addition TO a swimming pool has made the hotel much more popular?" Thanks.

• Nomenclature

English - Canada
    Hi!!I have a doubt question about the preposition which is after the noun ADDITION: is it always "of" or to", or it could be one of them with different meanings??

For example, in this sentence: "The addition OF a swimming pool has made the hotel much more popular".

Could it be " The addition TO a swimming pool has made the hotel much more popular?" Thanks.
    Both "to and "of" can be used. "Of" describes what the addition is, whereas "to describes what is being added to". The first sentence is grammatically correct. The second sentence sounds unnatural as the pool is an addition to the hotel. You could say something like, "The addition of a waterslide to the swimming pool has made the hotel much more popular".

Notice though how I use a definite article. If the hotel has more than one pool, you would likely specify which pool and not use an indefinite article.

fenixpollo

American English
    De acuerdo con nomenclature:
    The addition of a swimming pool... = Agregar una piscina [nueva]...
    The addition to the swimming pool... = Expander la piscina [existente]...

< Previous | Next >