addition with carrying; subtraction with borrowing

longnoriegad

English - Midwestern US
I'm stumped. How would you translate, for an mid-quarter report, the expressions:

addition WITH CARRYING

subtraction WITH BORROWING

Sumar & restar are no problem, it's the carrying and borrowing that have me scratching my head.

I've looked around but can't find anything. :( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dani

• Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    Addition with carrying is what books call "SUMA CON ACARREO". I don't know the equivalent term for substraction.

longnoriegad

English - Midwestern US
    Hello all,

Rivendell suggested "Sumar con acarreado" - so, borrowing from one of the financial terminology threads, how does it sound:

restar con coger prestado

(coger prestado = borrowing against (something))

Any better suggestions?

Dani

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    Hi all,

thinking about it again, I don't think we have a special word to say "substraction with borrowing". I believe we say exactly the same thing as in the addition, so it would be:

- Suma con acarreo
    - Resta con acarreo

Longnoriegad's suggestion "resta con coger prestado" sounds funny... good try, but I'm certain we would never say it that way!! :)

Orejapico

Español ibérico- España
    You can hear as well the word llevando (carrying) for both cases: sumar llevando and restar llevando.

That's the way they say i.e. at schools, when teaching the children to calculate.

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    You can hear as well the word llevando (carrying) for both cases: sumar llevando and restar llevando.

That's the way they say i.e. at schools, when teaching the children to calculate.
    :tick:

Yes, that's right. That's the common way we say it at school:

"10 y 2 son 12 y me llevo 1..."

"Acarreo" is the word we use to describe this kind of addition (or substraction). It is used in college, in technical subjects, etc...

< Previous | Next >