additional agreement

acgsg

French
I would like to understand what is the difference between an "additional agreement" and an "amendment to an agreement".
Thanks a lot.

• acgsg

French
    Do you have any more context, Acgsg? I don't want to spend time answering you and then find you were thinking of the words in different linguistic circumstances.
    The question concerns agreements in general; someone with legal skills should be able to answer the question...?
    Generally we use the word "amendment" to describe the document we sign with a client in order to modify the first signed agreement, but I saw the expression "additional agreement" and I was wondering whether it was a synonymous or it described something different.
    Thanks a lot for your help.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    To me, an "additional agreement" would be a separate agreement, not an amendment to a current one.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I'm glad I asked for clarification, for it helps greatly to know that the context is formal and legal.

Here is an official EU document illustrating the difference:

1. What is an amendment to the agreement?

An amendment to the agreement represents a substantial change to the grant agreement originally approved by the European Commission. This substantial change must be included in a written additional agreement, which has to be approved by the European Commission.

So it seems that here, at least, an amendment is a general word for a change, which is then formalised into a written additional agreement.

The need for a definition in this case suggests that there is no general convention about the difference between the two, so perhaps the legal systems of different English-speaking countries treat the words in different ways. This would make a helpful general answer impossible.

acgsg

French
    I'm glad I asked for clarification, for it helps greatly to know that the context is formal and legal.

Here is an official EU document illustrating the difference:

1. What is an amendment to the agreement?

An amendment to the agreement represents a substantial change to the grant agreement originally approved by the European Commission. This substantial change must be included in a written additional agreement, which has to be approved by the European Commission.

So it seems that here, at least, an amendment is a general word for a change, which is then formalised into a written additional agreement.

The need for a definition in this case suggests that there is no general convention about the difference between the two, so perhaps the legal systems of different English-speaking countries treat the words in different ways. This would make a helpful general answer impossible.
    Thanks a lot !

< Previous | Next >