additional charges

Little Star

Persian
Hi again,
may I write it like this:
"There will be additional charges for : phone calls, dry cleaners , swimming and sauna."

or :

"There will be additional charges for the following services: phone calls, dry cleaners , swimming and sauna."

any other advice??? thanks in advance!

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    I like the second one more: the first one doesn't really stand as a complete thought.
    Don't put spaces before your colons and commas. Other than that, yeah, pretty good.

sdgraham

USA English
    On the other hand, I don't see that the extra words in the second sentence do anything but take up additional space. I would drop the colon in the first sentence and go with that.

In the journalism business this is called "tight" writing

Little Star

Persian
    On the other hand, I don't see that the extra words in the second sentence do anything but take up additional space. I would drop the colon in the first sentence and go with that.

In the journalism business this is called "tight" writing
    Thanks a lot.I have never heard about it.what about the final point?Dont we need any space after any kind of punctuation?(like this sentences I put together?)
    And regarding the thread if I dont use the colon how can I bring the words after? although you find them useless!but if I want to refer to some words I need a colon, dont I?

< Previous | Next >