Additional Christmas Day?

tobegood

Mandarin-Cantonese
Hi there,

I would like to know what Additional Christmas Day means.
It appears in the computer system of a bank. The context is there are boxing days, Labour Day, Christmas Day... before or after it. My guess is that this means the extensive holidays of Christmas Day such Dec. 26, 27, 28, etc... (but why the "Day" here is in its singular form?)

What are your opinions?
Thanks.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    You don't mention the year, so I can't check this. But if Christmas Day (which is a bank holiday) falls on a Thursday, the bank might choose to give its employees a 4-day weekend by staying closed on Friday also.

So in their computer system, Thursday would be a Christmas Day Holiday and Friday would be an Additional Christmas Day Holiday.

tobegood

Mandarin-Cantonese
    You don't mention the year, so I can't check this. But if Christmas Day (which is a bank holiday) falls on a Thursday, the bank might choose to give its employees a 4-day weekend by staying closed on Friday also.

So in their computer system, Thursday would be a Christmas Day Holiday and Friday would be an Additional Christmas Day Holiday.
    Thanks, this makes so much sense!

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    there are boxing days
    No, there is only one Boxing Day. It is the 26th of December.

In some countries it is usual for both Christmas Day and Boxing Day to be public holidays. Could it be that the "additional days" to which you refer are days that are given as holidays instead of the above on those occasions when they fall on days that you would not have to work anyway? For example, if 25 and 26 December fall on a Saturday and Sunday, you would get Monday and Tuesday off instead, because otherwise you would be "cheated" out of some of your holiday entitlement.

< Previous | Next >