additional diminution

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

But we know that people who grew up using rotary phones didn't experience them as defective cellphones. They were simply phones. And the first flip-phones were admired for their slenderness, not rejected for the additional diminution they had failed to achieve.

(This comes from npr.org: The Curse Of The Inability To Imagine on June 20, 2016.)

In the previous paragraph it says a video shows contemporary teenagers disparaging the cellphone technology (It's so big! And there's no screen! And texting is so slow!), so can I say 'additional diminution' means cut additional phone features, such as no screen and slow texting?
If yes, I feel the first flip-phones had achieved the diminution. Why the author say 'they had failed to achieve'?

Thanks in advance!

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "diminution" means "making smaller".

The first cell phones were the size of ordinary house phones. I had one in my car.

Later "flip phones" were created. They were much smaller than all other phones: that is diminution.

Leter, smartphones were created. They were even smaller: that is additional diminution.

Your author is saying that, back when flip-phones were new, nobody complained that flip phones weren't as slim as smartphones...because smartphones didn't exist yet.

< Previous | Next >