Additional emphasis given by perfect aspect

Aksal

Russian - Russia
In sentences like this:

He has shared his doubts.

She has revealed her secrets.

Doesn't "have" emphasizes the facts of sharing and revealing too much, as if these are what they have, their achievements? Somehow "have" disconcerts me by its having possession sense.

• owlman5

English-US
    You might find this explanation of the perfect in Wikipedia useful, Aksal. It does a good job of explaining the perfect, which is described as a combination of aspect and tense. For practical examples and advice on using the present perfect, this explanation
    in "The English Page" is hard to beat.

I agree with Jill that "have" used as an auxiliary has really lost any sense of "possession". That's an interesting thought, but I don't think it will help you understand the meaning of auxiliary verbs in English.

English typically uses adverbs and adjectives to express things that are done with different words - verbs, for instance - in other languages. Using the present perfect has nothing to do with expressing the idea of "too much" in a sentence containing the verb "reveal". We really need other words and phrases to convey the idea: He revealed too much. He revealed all.

Sometimes we create compound verbs to express these ideas, but they are generally formal words or words that sound "Latin":
    He extended himself too much. He overextended himself.

Last edited:

Aksal

Russian - Russia
    I meant emphasizes too much, not reveal too much. But I think I got how the meaning has changed. Thank you all.

< Previous | Next >