address nicotine addiction

< Previous | Next >

changeling

Russia, russian
Hi everybody!

Could you help me with the phrase "to address nicotine addiction ".

It was in a book on business ethics. The sentence runs as follows: Utilitarians calculate that those who benefit are the cigarette companies and the user who in the short-term is able to address her or his nicotine addiction. On the other hand, the user's health is often seriously impaired.

Thanks in advance

• Trisia

Romanian
    Not necessarily... I think it simply means the user "does something about it." Any context?
    (In fact, I think it refers to smoking: s/he feels like having his/her dose of nicotine, and s/he acts accordingly: smokes a cigarette)

EDIT: I know it doesn't make much sense, but I said it because how would the cigarette companies benefit if the user quits? And how does quitting negatively affect health?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    I looked up the dictionary, but it still doesn't make sense :eek:. Does it imply to quit smoking?
    One presumes so. If one "addresses" any kind of addiction, it's in order to deal with it. If you're a smoker, "addressing" it means facing the truth of your addiction and not deceiving yourself that it's not bad for you, etc. I presume that the next step is quitting.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Not necessarily... I think it simply means the user "does something about it." Any context?
    (In fact, I think it refers to smoking: s/he feels like having his/her dose of nicotine, and s/he acts accordingly: smokes a cigarette)
    Trust me, Trisia - addressing a nicotine addiction doesn't mean having a smoke. It's an ugly habit and most smokers tend to ignore the downside until it's too late - in other words, they don't address the problem.

Trisia

Romanian
    Hi, Dimcl :)

I know. I would always presume that "addressing addiction" refers to quitting. But I need to see more context because right now it doesn't make much sense to me (see my edit).

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi, Dimcl :)

I know. I would always presume that "addressing addiction" refers to quitting. But I need to see more context because right now it doesn't make much sense to me (see my edit).
    To me, this sounds like this new "morality" of cigarette companies - they actually have websites now that teach you how to quit smoking (if that isn't the biggest irony in the world!). That's what this context sounds like. The theory is that the cigarette companies will profit from the good public relations and the smoker will, perhaps, stop smoking for a week or two but will then fall off the wagon and remember that nice cigarette company that tried to help. Smokers switch brands all the time...

< Previous | Next >