Address the huge number of...

< Previous | Next >

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
Hi, native speakers of English!

I would like to ask you about the usage of the verb "to address" meaning "to deal with a problem". Most examples I can think of (as well as examples I've found in dictionaries) include a word such as "problem" or "issue" after the verb, as in:

Governments have been slow to address the problem of global warming. (MacMillan Dictionary)

Your essay does not address the real issues. (Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

My question is: Is it necessary to include such words? For instance, does the following sentence sound okay (even if it does not include "problem" or "issue")?: "It's going to be a big challenge for the government of China because it will have to address the huge number of diabetics in coming years". (this sentence is my own) Or is it better to say, "... it will have to address the problem of the huge number..."

Thank you in advance.

• Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
    Thank you for replying, Myridon, but I'm not sure how to interpret your post.

The MacMillan dictionary says:

address: to try to deal with a problem or question, for example by thinking carefully about it, or by doing things to improve a situation

Last edited:

tepatria

Canadian English
    You can address many situations. It does not have to be a problem, though that is usually the case. I can address a question, as I am doing right now.

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
    You can address many situations. It does not have to be a problem, though that is usually the case. I can address a question, as I am doing right now.
    Thank you, tepatria.

What I'm not sure about is whether I have to include "the problem of" in the following sentence:

"It's going to be a big challenge for the government of China because it will have to address (the problem of) the huge number of diabetics in coming years".

vincix

Romanian
    I would say that 'the problem of' or 'the issue related to' etc. etc. is not necessary. It's a safe bet in my opinion.

e2efour

UK English
    It seems to me that to address the huge number of diabetics could mean to talk to them.
    I would write to address the huge rise in the number of diabetics.

tepatria

Canadian English
    It seems to me that to address the huge number of diabetics could mean to talk to them.
    I would write to address the huge rise in the number of diabetics.
    I had the same thought, but couldn't come up with a coherent way to say it. e2efour has put it very well and the solution suggested is spot on.

< Previous | Next >