address your teacher, Sir, Madam?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Egoexpress, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. Egoexpress

    Egoexpress Senior Member

    Hungary, Hungarian
    Hello there,

    I was wondering how you would adress your teacher during a lecture\class at the university or high scool?

    Sir, Madam are ok?

  2. In the UK nowadays, you call the teachers at school Mr/Mrs/Miss + surname.

    Will we have Golden Time on Friday, Mrs Young?

    But I know that Sir certainly (and Madam possible?) was used in the past and might be still used in (some?) public schools.
  3. GreenWhiteBlue

    GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

    The City of New York
    USA - English
    In the US, the natural thing to do would be to use the appropriate honorific and the name:

    Mrs. Erudite, will we have a test tomorrow?
    Sister Mary Tabernacle, would you explain deponent Latin verbs again?
    Professor Brilliant, I do not understand the example.
  4. Except that in short answers, we would say 'Yes, sir' or 'No, miss'. In AE, students would always use 'sir' or 'ma'am'.

    In BE we have never used 'ma'am' or 'madam' to address women teachers. It's always been 'miss'.
  5. JamesM

    JamesM à la Mod (English Only)

    Just a note... it's "address". I've corrected the thread title.
  6. Egoexpress

    Egoexpress Senior Member

    Hungary, Hungarian
    Thank you Mr. JamesM and the others for helping me out.
  7. Esca

    Esca Senior Member

    USA - English
    Hi Egoexpress,
    In high school, the instructors are called teachers, and would usually be addressed as "Mr. McGillicuddy," for example. If the person is a Ph.D, they would be "Dr. McGillicuddy."

    In college, the instructors are called professors, and would generally be addressed as "Professor McGillicuddy," or just "Professor." There are many college professors who prefer to be called by their first name, or perhaps "Dr. McGillicuddy," but I would say "Professor" is always safe.
  8. jb2514

    jb2514 New Member

    United States - English
    Another common title used here in the U.S. is "Ms." (Ms. Green for example) This may be the preferred choice of both married and single women since it does not indicate whether or not the woman is married.
  9. Blootix Senior Member

    English - USA
    I agree. I never use "Mrs." because the teacher might not be married.
  10. mikichan Senior Member


    Is the word "teacher" ever used as "professor" is?

    For an example, when you start talking to a teacher, say "Excuse me, teacher?" as in "Excuse me, professor???"

    Thank you.
  11. Parla Senior Member

    New York City
    English - US
    No, we don't use "teacher" as a form of address.
  12. mikichan Senior Member

    Thank you!
  13. Language Hound Senior Member

    American English
    Always?!! Perhaps seventy years ago or perhaps in the southern states, where "sir" and "ma'am" are still alive and well.

Share This Page