addressing a family in an e-mail

diplomat's son

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi everyone!

I was wondering what the proper way/some natural ways of addressing a family in a formal e-mail are... Also, is it OK to finish this kind of e-mail with "regards" followed by my name one line below?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You should explain what you mean by "formal" and give a few lines from an example of such a email in order to give some context.

For example, a formal email might be:

To the occupants of 6, London Road, Birmingham,

In accordance with the Housing Act 1973 (Subsection 12(ii)) you should vacate the property at 6, London Road, Birmingham, on or before 13th December as the property will be demolished.

Yours faithfully,
    PaulQ​

diplomat's son

Portuguese - Brazil
    Formal as in I don't know them and will be talking to them for the first time because they asked for travel tips...

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Are they two separate people or, for example, a man and wife?

How have they addressed you? How have they ended their email?

diplomat's son

Portuguese - Brazil
    It's hypothetical. I've never seen a similar situation so there's nothing I can base myself on. Let's say it's a married couple with 3 children who asked me to send them such e-mail on a forum which discusses traveling. And I know the man's last name is Johnson.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    If the man (or woman) give only the surname, then a letter begins
    Dear Mr Johnson,
    <information here>
    Yours faithfully,
    A diplomat's son.

In an email, because the email already has a subject as the title, (e.g. RE: Your enquiry about bear hunting in Fiji) then

Mr Johnson, thanks for your enquiry...

[yours] (not absolutely necessary)
    A diplomat's son.

On an open forum, quote the relevant part of the post, and then start the reply:
    I would like to know about bear hunting in Fiji
    <insert information>
    If you have any further questions, let me know.

It is unusual to address the entire family - it is usual simply to address the person who wrote it and perhaps add a reference to "and your family/group/party, etc." somewhere in the message.

< Previous | Next >