Addressing customers [email]

Daffodil100

Chinese
Hello! I wrote an email to promote our products to a potential customer- Mr Mike Simpson. He is an American. He responsed to my email and sent his enquiry to me. He addressed me my first name - Anna.

How do I address him appropriately? Should I call him Mr. Simpson or Mike for the second time?

Thank you!

• ewie

English English
    Hello Daffy/Anna. Oh you should certainly address him by his first name ~ he's obviously a friendly and informal chap:) ~ which I believe is quite routine in American business circles.

Daffodil100

Chinese
    Hi Ewie,

Thank you very much for your reply. :)He started as -Hi Anna, ....

Should I also start as Hi Mike or Dear Mike? Which one is better to a customer?

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    There is an age divide here. For those older than Uncle Ewie, use of first names in business correspondence, especially with people you have never met, is considered unprofessional.

Packard

USA, English
    When I first started using e-mails I used letter writing conventions for salutations.

Such as:

Dear Mr. Jones,

Dear Mike,

etc.

It quickly became clear that the "Dear" was routinely skipped over in return e-mails by almost everyone I e-mailed to. So now I just write:

Mr. Jones -

Mike -

Etc.

In my business experience the transition from Mr. or Ms. to first name starts out after the first correspondence (assuming it did not start out on a first name basis).

If you are writing to an American by e-mail I think you are almost always safe with the first name.

On the other hand, I would write:

Mr. Obama,

or

Dear Barack

but not just

Barack

< Previous | Next >