Addressing envelope to married couple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verona

United States English
How do you address an envelope to a married couple in Italy? In English, I would use Mr. & Mrs. John H. Doe. Is it similar in Italian?
Thank you,
Verona:confused:

• Silvia

Italian
    It depends on the nature of the letter... is it formal/informal?

Fam. stands for famiglia = family
    Gent. Fam. = gentile famiglia = kind family
    Alla Fam. = alla famiglia = to the family
    etc.

or

Gent. Sigg. for gentili signori = dear Sirs...

The translations provided by me are literal and just meant to understand the words...

uinni

Italy, Italian
    Verona said:
    How do you address an envelope to a married couple in Italy? In English, I would use Mr. & Mrs. John H. Doe. Is it similar in Italian?
    Thank you,
    Verona:confused:
    Mrs John H Doe ? Funny! :)

- "Ai (gentili, illustri,...) signori John H. Doe e XXX, YYY"
    - "Alla famiglia Doe"
    - "Al Sig. John H Doe e Signora" is another possible option

Where XXX, YYY being the full name of Mrs. Doe.

Uinni

Verona

United States English
    This envelope would contain a Christmas card for friends. In school, I was taught to address all envelopes formally. However, in the U.S. many things are done informally and there can be a variety of ways to address an envelope (for example: The Family of XXXXX)
    Verona

Silvia

Italian
    If it's a Christmas card, then you could write:
    Gent. Fam. or (Gent. Famiglia)
    Mario Rossi
    via delle Siepi 5
    00010 Bentivoglio (BO)
    Italy

Verona

United States English
    Grazie mille! Addesso, posso completare mio biglietto di Natale.
    (Thank you! Now, I can finish my Christmas card.) Is that correct? How would I make it plural - Christmas cards?
    Verona

Drusillo

Italian-Italy
    Verona said:
    Grazie mille! Addesso, posso completare il mio biglietto di Natale.
    (Thank you! Now, I can finish my Christmas card.) Is that correct? How would I make it plural - Christmas cards?
    Verona
    Plural: Grazie mille! Addesso, posso completare i miei biglietti di Natale.
    Ciao

Daisy Marigold

English - USA
    I remember receiving cards from family in Italy addressed with "Gent.mi Coniugi" Is this still used? I would like to be correct, but not stuffy and old-fashioned.

"Gent.mi Coniugi"
    It is still used and quite formal.
    Nowadays we usually put only the husband's surname: "Gent.mi coniugi Rossi".
    In Italy in these days married women don't use the husband's surname in practically any official or formal situation, so it would seem a bit old-fashioned to me to use "Gent.mi coniugi Mario e Lucia Rossi" but I wouldn't say it must be avoided.
    A less formal, more everyday formula is "Gentile Famiglia Rossi"

Daisy Marigold

English - USA
    It is still used and quite formal.
    Nowadays we usually put only the husband's surname: "Gent.mi coniugi Rossi".
    In Italy in these days married women don't use the husband's surname in practically any official or formal situation, so it would seem a bit old-fashioned to me to use "Gent.mi coniugi Mario e Lucia Rossi" but I wouldn't say it must be avoided.
    A less formal, more everyday formula is "Gentile Famiglia Rossi"
    Thanks so much for your advice. In this case, I do know that the wife (an American) has taken her husband's name. So I will opt for the "Gent.mi coniugi Rossi" format

Thanks so much for your advice. In this case, I do know that the wife (an American) has taken her husband's name. So I will opt for the "Gent.mi coniugi Rossi" format
    You're welcome. If a signora Bianchi marries a signor Rossi you can still call her signora Rossi in everyday life. There is nothing wrong with that and you are excused for not knowing her "maiden" name.
    But at work, when booking a hotel or when admitted in hospital she will always be signora Bianchi.
    This is why Gent.mi coniugi Mario e Lucia Rossi sounds a bit old-fashioned, not to say a bit patriarchal.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >