addressing your partner -hubby, wife ??

Amber_1010

Chinese-Cantonese
Hello everyone!

I have noticed, in English, people call their mothers 'mom'. I wonder if married couples do that with each other like that as well?

Like, if I were married, would it be correct to say "Hubby, would you like to eat turkey tonight?".
I think it is okay to say 'Hubby', but not husband. Though it is also common to just say their names.

But if my husband were to answer me, what would he call me? "Sure, wife."??
I think 'wife' is a little strange here. Is that there a informal form of the word 'wife' like 'hubby'? If we can address our husbands/wives like that at all?

Thank you!

• Biffo

English - England
    In British English we say "Mum" instead of AE "Mom".

Women might refer to their "hubby" when discussing their husband with friends. It is not usual to address the person as "hubby".

Many years ago, married people did address their spouse as "Husband" or "Wife" but I don't think you will hear these forms of address in Britain or the USA these days.

Nowadays we tend to say "Dear" or other such terms of endearment.

Amber_1010

Chinese-Cantonese
    I understand.

You say we can use 'hubby' when discussing our husband with our friends. What about wife? I think there's isn't an informal form of the word wife (like hubby), I think we just say "My wife is great." even in informal conversations.

Thank you!

Biffo

English - England
    I understand.

You say we can use 'hubby' when discussing our husband with our friends. What about wife? I think there's isn't an informal form of the word wife (like hubby), I think we just say "My wife is great." even in informal conversations.

Thank you!
    It depends very much on the local idiom. In Britain I have often heard "the missus" (from Mrs.).

the missus ⇒ informal one's wife or the wife of the person addressed or referred to
    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/missus

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You are correct that we do not use "husband" or "wife" as terms of direct address, any more than we do "son," "daughter," or other similar terms.

People may have pet names for their life partners, or may simply use their name when speaking to them, or they may use a common endearment such as "honey" or "sweetie."

suzi br

English / England
    You are correct that we do not use "husband" or "wife" as terms of direct address, any more than we do "son," "daughter," or other similar terms.
    it depends where you live, it is common to hear son used this way, and personally my wife and I do address each other as wife, but I think that is just our idea of a joke, not something many people do.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Old thread, I know, but I wanted to add that it is common for people to talk about 'my hubby' here in Singapore.

< Previous | Next >