adhérer aux amis de La Piscine (a museum)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by PtiFutee, Mar 2, 2009.

  1. PtiFutee Senior Member

    US, English

    My question has to do with a potential difference in British vs. American translations. In the US, normally we'd say become a member of the Friends of the xyz society. However I just saw "Subscribe to the Friends of the...." I'm wondering if that is the common term in the UK?

  2. Recent_Runes Senior Member

    Sussex, England
    British English ♂
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  3. PtiFutee Senior Member

    US, English
    Recent_Runes--thanks--I can see my question wasn't quite clear enough, but the links you provided helped with the answer.

    I was more interested in knowing whether one became a member (US) vs. a subscriber (possibly UK?). I haven't seen the term subscriber/subscription very often in the US pertaining to a "Friends" type organization. However, I did see "subscriber" used on a page that was translated from French. Hence, I was wondering if that was a British use. Judging from the links you posted, it may not have been a good word choice, as the links you provided speak about members and memberships.


Share This Page