Adhesive paper tape

Lems

Brazil - Brazilian Portuguese
Dear foreros

I wonder what is the English/American name for a sort of adhesive rough paper tape , usually kakhi or buff colored, about one inch wide.

Thanks in advance.

Lems

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés

atlantaguy33

USA English
    Masking tape is usually a light beige color and almost has a plastic feel to the base and is easily torn or ripped. Packing tape is usually a draker brown, has a backing that feels and looks like a paper bag, and sometimes has to be dampened to activate the adhesive. It is usually a couple of inches wide and hard to rip.

I never realized how many different types of tape we have here. Scotch (or cellophane), masking, duct, packing, electrician's, painter's. Whew!:)

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Here also...

Masking tape..comes in beige..green and now a blue..
    Packing tape is a little more durable..and comes in beige or clear..and also comes with little strings in it...
    The multi-use..duct tape..
    then..pipe tape..plumbers tape...drywall tape..scotch tape..yadda,yadda...
    oh!!...do not for get the VHS tape..and audio tape..these are not very sticky though...:D

te gato;)

Lems

Gee! Now I realise there are so many kinds of paper tape... Thank you folks.

Besides, thanks te gato, I just found a new way to use my old VHS and audio tapes: just applying some glue to them... :D

Lems

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Lems said:

Besides, thanks te gato, I just found a new way to use my old VHS and audio tapes: just applying some glue to them... :D

Lems
    You are welcome..have fun with the glue!!!!:D
    te gato;)

mzsweeett

USA
    USA, American English
    Lems said:

Lems
    Ask any child and they may say that oatmeal or cream of wheat makes a better adhesive as glue or tape!! Mine have worked wonders with it.....:rolleyes:

LOL

Sweet T.

BTW...what are you trying to "tape" up??

Citrus

Español / México
    Lems said:
    Dear foreros

I wonder what is the English/American name for a sort of adhesive rough paper tape , usually kakhi or buff colored, about one inch wide.

Thanks in advance.

Lems
    I once heard the term "Tan Packaging Tape". When I looked it up I found a producto with the caracteristics you mention. Maybe it is what you're looking for. It's a "Dupont" product.

Saludos
    Citrus

Lems

mzsweeett said:
    Ask any child and they may say that oatmeal or cream of wheat makes a better adhesive as glue or tape!! Mine have worked wonders with it.....:rolleyes:

LOL

Sweet T.

BTW...what are you trying to "tape" up??
    Hi Sweeety!

Actually the question was raised during an English teachers training... In Brazilian Portuguese we call it "fita crepe". "Fita" is tape. We were just curious.

On the other hand, using oatmeal or wheat cream as adhesive might jeopardize the profit in my brand new enterprise on VHS and audio adhesive tapes. :D

Lems

mjscott

American English
    Masking tape sounds like the paper tape you are talking about. It "masks" the area that you don't want painted. It is most known for not leaving permanent tape marks on whatever it is placed on. WARNING: If you are in the California area and you are using masking tape to paint Cape Cod windows, the tape WILL stick to glass and need to be removed with a razor blade if you do not remove it in a timely fashion!

Lems

Lems said:
    Hi Sweeety!

Actually the question was raised during an English teachers training... In Brazilian Portuguese we call it "fita crepe". "Fita" is tape. We were just curious.

On the other hand, using oatmeal or wheat cream as adhesive might jeopardize the profit in my brand new enterprise on VHS and audio adhesive tapes. :D
    Oh, that gave me another idea... I might start a new business on crèpes with wheat cream on top. Yummy!!! :D

Lems

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    My understanding of tape:

Masking tape, usually yellowish, has a rough paper feel, breaks easily and is easy to remove. It's purpose is to protect windows, skirting boards etc. when painting.

Packing tape is generally wider, much, much sticker and more durable, brown and with a smooth plasticky, obverse. It's used for sealing boxes, e.g. for moving.

Duct tape comes in many colours and has a matte, rubbery aspect, the back being grey and gooey and very adhesive. It can be twisted and is very resilient to wear and tear. Its purposes range from sealing pipes to fixing tents.

Insulating tape can be any colour, is quite tough, smooth and plasticky on the obverse and is used mainly for wrapping copper wires.

Sellotape is transparent, shiny, reasonably sticky and multipurpose.

Packard

USA, English
    Here also...

Masking tape..comes in beige..green and now a blue..
    Packing tape is a little more durable..and comes in beige or clear..and also comes with little strings in it...
    The multi-use..duct tape..
    then..pipe tape..plumbers tape...drywall tape..scotch tape..yadda,yadda...
    oh!!...do not for get the VHS tape..and audio tape..these are not very sticky though...:D

te gato;)

The colors (blue, green, mauve) indicate lesser degrees of adhesion than the white masking tape.

Photographers often use black masking tape.

All masking tapes are made from paper and are easily torn.

I've also used rice paper/rice paste tape (water activated adhesive) for archival picture framing. This is a specialty tape (but it is made from paper).

< Previous | Next >