adjective clause

ju&snaforever

Khmer
Bay to Breakers, ....., is a marathon race held annually in San Francisco.
a. it's runners wear hilarious costumes
b. the runners of which wear hilarious costumes
c which its wear hilarious costumes
which answer is the suitable one?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Often it's helpful to write out the possibilities in full. :)

Do all of these make sense to you? Does any seem better than the others? Does any seem worse?
    [space]
    a
    . Bay to Breakers, it's runners wear hilarious costumes, is a marathon race held annually in San Francisco.

b. Bay to Breakers, the runners of which wear hilarious costumes, is a marathon race held annually in San Francisco.

c. Bay to Breakers, which its wear hilarious costumes, is a marathon race held annually in San Francisco.

ju&snaforever

Khmer
    letter b makes sense to me, but i don't know how to tell you all why i choose it. the reason i choose it because i feel that it is the suitable one. please explain me. thanks ur warmness

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with you that 'b' is the suitable one. :)

It has a relative (of which) that relates it to Bay to Breakers.

a. "its runners wear hilarious costumes" is a complete sentence, but it has no relative to mark it as an adjective clause related to Bay to Breakers. [It should have the possessive its rather than it's meaning It is.]

c. "which its wear hilarious costumes" doesn't make sense by itself. If it is changed to "which wear hilarious costumes", it makes sense, but would say that Bay to Breakers wears costumes. Bay to Breakers is a race and doesn't wear costumes. The runners who participate do.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    The good news is, you're right: B is the correct answer.

C is clearly not correct, because it's just a meaningless jumble of words. So we have to look at A and B.

A is so close to being okay. What's important to note is that the apostrophe is wrong. We don't want "it is runners wear," but "the runners of it wear." So "it's" is incorrect and "its" is better. However, even if the word were "its" the sentence would be wrong, because "its runners wear hilarious costumes" would be an independent clause. The sentence would then have two independent clauses smushed together, making it a run-on.

B is the only correct option. B represents a properly-formulated subordinate clause, and as such is the only thing that can fit into the original sentence.

* As I said, A could almost be correct if it weren't a run-on. Basically, this could be solved by using dashes to represent the break between the two independent clauses:

The Bay to Breakers - its runners wear hilarious costumes - is a marathon race...
    The Bay to Breakers - some call it the straight pride parade - is a marathon race...

< Previous | Next >