Adjective ending w/out the noun present

nica62

English USA
Could anyone tell me why when you sit down to eat and after tasting the food that is so good, you would say, " Qué rico....." ?
Why not "Qué rica...."? Are you referring to the food which is "comida"?

Another example. My friend turned to another friend and said in English, "Your skin is dry...."
So my friend responded in Spanish saying, " Sí está seca......" but
the "native Spanish speaker" corrected him and said " está seco" but
again I don't know why? Skin...la piel...is feminine....and it was understand w/out using the noun that he was referring to "skin".....or...."la piel".

Could anyone help clear this up for me? Thank you...............

• mhp

American English
    ¡Qué rico! (el helado, el cocido, el pollo, etc)
    ¡Qué rica! (la sopa, la paella)
    ¡Qué seco! (el cutis [Piel que cubre el cuerpo humano, principalmente la del rostro])

Fernita

castellano de Argentina.
    After tasting, for example, "pollo con papas fritas", you just say "¡Qué rico!" and this involves "el pollo and las papas".

If you want to refer to something in particular, mhp's explanation is perfect!!!!

:)

choaddy

argentina español
    Nica,
    I'm not sure in Spain but in Argentina when we finish eating we say "...estuvo muy rico" because we think of "..el plato, el menú". However, if we think of "comida", we say "Que rica comida...". We say the adjective and the noun. About "la piel", we say "está seca.." because "skin" in spanish is a feminine, however, in Spain, they probably say "el cutis" so they necessarily say "está seco".
    We need a Spaniard mate to clear up this last point.

< Previous | Next >