Adjective following a noun (proper, apparent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1975

Latvian
So far I've come across two adjectives that sometimes follow a noun.
Are there any more such odd adjectives?

the town proper
the heir apparent

• AprendoSiempre

American English (NC)
    According to http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/grammar/attributive-position.htm

1.) Their are certain fixed phrases

• Attorney General
    • court-martial
    • poet laureate
    • heir apparent
    • president-elect
    2.) Some '-ible' and '-able' adjectives CAN follow the nouns, but they don't have to.

• My uncle will eat all the food available.
    3.) Adjectives are always placed after words like something, everything, anything, nothing, somebody, everybody, somewhere etc.

• Let us go somewhere quiet.
    • I heard something interesting today.
    Those are the more common cases. Does that help?

Arrius

English, UK
    I have in the past been stamped on by a moderator for writing a list, but here goes:
    matters sacred and profane: the Procurer Fiscal (head of the Scottish legal system like the American Attorney General, another example; Sergeant Major; "Plays Pleasant and Unpleasant" (by Geoge Bernard Shaw); court martial (plural courts martial); a fait accompli (admittedly borrowed from French); the biter bit (sic, not bitten in this particular phrase). That will do for my contribution.;)

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Moderator note:

Without wishing to stamp on anyone, we do appreciate it when people read and follow the rules. This is a discussion forum, not one for making lists.

If you have a doubt about what is an acceptable thread topic, please consult the English Only posting guidelines, and if you are still unsure, contact a moderator.

Since this thread is a request for a list, it is now closed.

Nun-Translator

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >