Adjective for "butt"=to hit with head

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Lark-lover, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Lark-lover

Lark-lover Senior Member

Arabic
    Hello, folks

I am looking for an attributive adjective for "butt'' when a sheep or goat hits one another with heads

This is a ( ) sheep/goat

Thanks

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    It would be useful if you gave some context: Where are you going to say/write this, and who will be the audience?

3. RedwoodGrove

RedwoodGrove Senior Member

Northern California
    English, USA
    This is a ram with horns for butting.
    This ram butts.
    These rams are butting heads.

Less likely: This is a head-butting type of sheep/goat.

There may be a technical term used by biologists and zoologists.

(Sorry, misread the exact question.)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  4. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I don't think you will find a single adjective:

"This sheep/goat butts."
    "This sheep/goat tends to butt."
    "This sheep/goat has a habit of butting [people]."

If it's for children or humorous, you can coin a word: "This is a [very] butty goat." - "This goat's a bit of a butter."

5. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    There isn't even an adjective for the word hit in this kind of situation (the blank in the OP) - perhaps it might be generalized to all "action" verbs.

6. Lark-lover

Lark-lover Senior Member

Arabic
    Thanks all.
    PaulQ hit the nail:thumbsup:

This is a butty goat

What is about :

This is a butting goat then?

7. RedwoodGrove

Northern California
    English, USA
    I don't think you're going to find what you are looking for. The adjective simply does not exist. Perhaps it would help if you could clarify why you need it, what you want it to do in the sentence, and where you expect to use it. As I said above, there may be technical words for that type of species or activity. However, your sample sentence does not really fit your explanation. This indicates an action that is ongoing or current or "right now" -
    This indicates a type of animal -

8. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
    Possible, but without the right kind of context it might suggest a goat that is butting more than one that butts.

9. Lark-lover

Lark-lover Senior Member

Arabic
    Thank you all for the inputs
    If we assume that we had a nanny goat that is constantly butting whatever it meets whether a human or an animal. That is, butting is a deep-rooted behavior wherever it is. or instance, when a flock of goats eat out of a trough, this she-goat starts butting other heads.

10. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    I would say 'This goat is a headbutter', assuming the people you are talking to have some knowledge of goats.

11. RedwoodGrove

Northern California
    English, USA
    :thumbsup: That's good. Simple, direct, and apt.

Up until this thread, and doing some looking around online, I thought it was only the male goats that butted heads especially during mating season, which may be more in line with the behavior of Rocky Mountain Bighorns. According to a couple of articles I read, butting is a common, almost everyday mode of behavior for domesticated goats both, male and female, which are constantly establishing their dominance and pecking order.