Adjective for "butt"=to hit with head

Lark-lover

Arabic
Hello, folks

I am looking for an attributive adjective for "butt'' when a sheep or goat hits one another with heads

This is a ( ) sheep/goat

Thanks

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It would be useful if you gave some context: Where are you going to say/write this, and who will be the audience?

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    This is a ram with horns for butting.
    This ram butts.
    These rams are butting heads.

Less likely: This is a head-butting type of sheep/goat.

There may be a technical term used by biologists and zoologists.

(Sorry, misread the exact question.)

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I don't think you will find a single adjective:

"This sheep/goat butts."
    "This sheep/goat tends to butt."
    "This sheep/goat has a habit of butting [people]."

If it's for children or humorous, you can coin a word: "This is a [very] butty goat." - "This goat's a bit of a butter."

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I don't think you're going to find what you are looking for. The adjective simply does not exist. Perhaps it would help if you could clarify why you need it, what you want it to do in the sentence, and where you expect to use it. As I said above, there may be technical words for that type of species or activity. However, your sample sentence does not really fit your explanation. This indicates an action that is ongoing or current or "right now" -
    when a sheep or goat hits one another with heads
    This indicates a type of animal -
    This is a ( ) sheep/goat

Lark-lover

Arabic
    Thank you all for the inputs
    If we assume that we had a nanny goat that is constantly butting whatever it meets whether a human or an animal. That is, butting is a deep-rooted behavior wherever it is. or instance, when a flock of goats eat out of a trough, this she-goat starts butting other heads.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I would say 'This goat is a headbutter'
    :thumbsup: That's good. Simple, direct, and apt.

Up until this thread, and doing some looking around online, I thought it was only the male goats that butted heads especially during mating season, which may be more in line with the behavior of Rocky Mountain Bighorns. According to a couple of articles I read, butting is a common, almost everyday mode of behavior for domesticated goats both, male and female, which are constantly establishing their dominance and pecking order.

< Previous | Next >