adjective + participle (ing)? (adjective modifier?)

< Previous | Next >

florance

danish
Hi everyone!
I always see the following "adj + ing-verb" structure but I am not sure if its grammatically correct and what this grammatical technique is called if so

Examples:
I am quite sad knowing that you are cash-strapped
I feel depressed seeing you weep
I feel happy looking at that masterpiece

I am not 100% sure if this is (if grammatically correct) gerund or participle.

Thank you so much !!!!!!!!

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    This is a present participle used as an adjective, qualifying the subject of the main clause (in your cases "I").

Forget the comparison "gerund or participle" -- it's meaningless in English. All these words derived from VERB+ing are present participles; the question is, are they being used as an adjective or a noun?

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's not really a structure; the ing-phrase is connected to the sentence generally, and refers to the subject. We could attach it to parts ending in other words:

I am quite down in the dumps knowing that you are cash-strapped. [preposition phrase]
    I feel a great deal of pleasure looking at that masterpiece. [noun phrase]
    I feel life is meaningful looking at that masterpiece. [clause]

And as the ing-phrase is not strongly connected with anything, we can move it around independently:

Looking at that masterpiece, I feel happy.

florance

danish
    This is a present participle used as an adjective, qualifying the subject of the main clause (in your cases "I").

Forget the comparison "gerund or participle" -- it's meaningless in English. All these words derived from VERB+ing are present participles; the question is, are they being used as an adjective or a noun?
    Thank you! Yeah I always get so bogged down by the terminology of grammar that I turned a blind eye to the curx of the matter - it makes more sense look at the semantics of things! :)

florance

danish
    It's not really a structure; the ing-phrase is connected to the sentence generally, and refers to the subject. We could attach it to parts ending in other words:

I am quite down in the dumps knowing that you are cash-strapped. [preposition phrase]
    I feel a great deal of pleasure looking at that masterpiece. [noun phrase]
    I feel life is meaningful looking at that masterpiece. [clause]

And as the ing-phrase is not strongly connected with anything, we can move it around independently:

Looking at that masterpiece, I feel happy.
    Thank you! I never thought of restructuring the way a sentence is constructed! It helps clarify things indeed :) .

< Previous | Next >