adjective that means "requires a lot of courage"

< Previous | Next >

meijin

Japanese
Hi, please see the following example I created, imagining it is being said by your friend.

I find it _________ to buy lipsticks and other cosmetics at stores even though I know I have to do it for my wife who's too busy to do it herself.

I first thought the word is "challenging", but I looked the word up in a couple of dictionaries and realized it's not the right word. "Difficult" isn't really the word either. Is there an adjective that means "requires a lot of courage"? I'm not insisting to use the "I find it __________" construction, so if there's no such adjective, that's fine.

• meijin

Japanese
    Thank you both very much. "Embarrassing" and "discomforting" seem closer to the meaning I intended. But it's probably still not quite right. If "requires a lot of courage" is not clear enough, how about "makes me hesitate"?

meijin

Japanese
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure if "daunting" (which I knew but couldn't come up with) is the right word. I'll give you a better example. I'm sure there are things you prefer to buy online because you don't want people (especially those who know you) to see you buying them. "I find it _________ to buy X at stores, so I always buy it online."

Loob

English UK
    I suggest you have a look at a thesaurus, meijin, and see what comes up when you put in the various suggestions that have been made. (Another possibility: unnerving:).)

Here's a link to thesaurus.com!

wandle

English - British
    I'm not sure if "daunting" (which I knew but couldn't come up with) is the right word.
    If it is about courage, then 'daunting' is the right word. 'Undaunted' means not allowing danger or challenge to affect one's action or commitment.
    If it is about difficulty, then 'demanding' would do.
    If it is about emotional tension, then 'fraught' is the word.

meijin

Japanese
    Could be anything! Humiliating?
    Of course, "humiliating" and "embarrassing" work perfectly well in the example in my last post, but please remember the thread title. The intended meaning is "It requires a lot of courage to buy X at stores, so I always buy it online."

Also, I mentioned "challenging" in the original post, and I had thought it was the word because I was thinking like "It's a challenge for me to buy X at stores, (but I don't have the courage to do it) so I always buy it online."

I suggest you have a look at a thesaurus, meijin, and see what comes up when you put in the various suggestions that have been made. (Another possibility: unnerving:).)

Here's a link to thesaurus.com!
    Yes, I consulted a synonym dictionary in my electronic dictionary, but it didn't list many synonyms for "daunting". Also, looking at the list shown on thesaurus.com, there are many words that I don't know so I think it would be easier to get the right adjective from native English speakers here. :)

But, again, if there's no such adjective, that's fine. I could just look up all the synonyms myself if I really need the adjective...

If it is about courage, then 'daunting' is the right word. 'Undaunted' means not allowing danger or challenge to affect one's action.
    If it is about difficulty, then 'demanding' would do.
    If it is about emotional tension, then 'fraught' is the word.
    It is about courage, so I guess
    "I find it daunting to buy X at stores, so I always buy it online" is indeed the best.

meijin

Japanese
    I removed "a lot of" and made the sentence a little simpler.

It requires courage to buy lipsticks and other cosmetics at stores for my wife who's too busy to do it herself.
    I find it _________ to buy lipsticks and other cosmetics at stores for my wife who's too busy to do it herself.

I suppose there's no adjective that means exactly the same, which is fine. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Oddmania

French
    Hi,

If slang is a possibility: "I think it's pretty ballsy to...". More neutral: "I think it takes a lot of boldness OR guts to..." (but then, you might as well say "takes a lot of courage").

Brannoc

British English
    In your shoes I think I'd feel uncomfortable, ill at ease, nervous, edgy but I think in the end a real struggle.

meijin

Japanese
    If slang is a possibility: "I think it's pretty ballsy to...".
    I think "ballsy" (or "courageous" if it means the same) is used when referring to someone else's behavior. So, if you were the one who buys cosmetics at stores for your wife, it would be appropriate for me to say "I find it ballsy/courageous to buy lipsticks and other cosmetics at stores for your wife."

lingobingo

English - England
    Yes. To find an activity "tough going" is to find it very difficult.

Example: When I called at that farm they promised me a job for two months so I took it on, but it turned out to be tough going.

< Previous | Next >