Adjectives expressing strong appreciation

< Previous | Next >

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
I had been focusing on the concept of "strikingness", but I think a lot of those adjectives mainly express strong appreciation. I can see the following in Dutch and English, and I tried to categorize them:
  • Over-sized: enorme [prestatie/performance], groots/great, geweldig/ great (but literally violent), machtig/great (but literally powerful)
  • Shining: schitterend (brilliant), prachtig/ splendid, dazzling, sprankelend/ sparkling
  • "Impacting"; indrukwekkend/ impressive, striking/frappant, eye-catching/ in het oog springend, ...
  • Super/ uit-/out: voortreffelijk/exquisite, uitstekend/excellent, super, ...
  • Apart uitzonderlijk/, uitstekend, standing out/ uitstekend/ ex-cellent, ...
Can you express high appreciation in other metaphorical ways?

Dymn showed links between many words for "striking" in the "striking" thread:
I think that's another semantic field though, having to do with an unusually good quality, that makes something stand out of the crowd (sobresaliente in Spanish, for example). Maybe closer to the other thread you have opened.

I wonder if impression and its derivatives are close to striking, though, related to "press", maybe it adds a nuance of being able of leaving some lifelong memory or change in direction on something or someone. Something like dejar huella ("to leave a mark", lit. "a footprint"). Also impactante is another word for "shocking", "striking". All metaphors here share some physical contact, especially if blunt and sudden.

• Awwal12

Russian
    If we exclude participles and all kinds of verbal adjectives (the patterns of which could drive is very far away from the original topic), Russian (slang included) basically uses "classy", "hard"/"steep", "strong" and "powerful" (the last two only towards things and abstractions, though).

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    I would not mind including participles - at least if they have a metaphorical background. In fact, your words seem also metaphorical to some extent, except perhaps "classy", although even that is probably not just "category", but "the best category", like "first-class workers" or something the like. We would probably say: "met klasse", "with (good) quality" (…). The latter is not a metaphor, but at least we are focusing not on the denotation, but on an evaluative form/ meaning of the descriptive word - just like "in style/ stylish", etc.

< Previous | Next >