Adjectives

tchbecker

Português - PTB
Hi, everybody!

I have to always use the verb "to be" in sentences that have these adjectives?
angry, desperate, enthusiastic, exicted, frustrated, furious, mad, proud, rellieved, scared, suprised, worried.

TCH.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I don't really understand your question, but any adjective that can follow 'be' can almost certainly follow other verbs of seeming, looking, becoming, and so on:

I looked angry. You became angry. She seems angry. We grew angry. They sounded angry.

tchbecker

Português - PTB
    Hi, Mr.(s) Entangledbak
    Thanks you for replaceing my question.
    sample:
    I say I am scared of spider, but I don't say I have scared of spider. Why?

pob14

American English
    Because "scared," as you mentioned, is an adjective; it's something that describes a noun (in the example given, a pronoun, actually).

You can't "have" an adjective; you need a noun for that construction. "I have a fear of spiders."

tchbecker

Português - PTB
    More a question:
    For I use this adjectives in sentences afirmative, it's necessary the use of verb "TO GET"? Why?
    If the sentences they were in past, I need use "GET" or "GOT" more verb modal "would"?

Sample:

I got worried when I received the bad news.
    I'd get relieved if everything it were fine.

Myridon

English - US
    I got worried when I received the bad news. :tick: in American English, though "became" would be more formal
    I'd get relieved if everything it were fine.:cross:
    I would be relieved if everything was/is/were fine. :tick: American English

The only context I can think of for "I'd get relieved" is "I would get relieved (of duty) if my relief (the worker who takes over my shift) arrives."

< Previous | Next >