adjust subtitles 2 seconds late

keramus

Persian
Hello everybody

I use a computer program called KM player for watching movies. This program allows me to adjust subtitles.
For example, I adjust subtitles 2 seconds late

then, I begin watching the movie. I hear a native speak. If I understand what he says, no problem. But if I don't understand , after 2 seconds , the subtitles appear.
(By the way , I find this technique helpful because instead of watching a movie twice, once without subtitles and once with subtitles, I save a lot of time. This is just my opinion)
OK, my question is this:
What do you think about the highlighted part?

Please tell me your opinion.

• Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    I understand your phrase, but it is not at all natural. You could say "I delay the subtitles by 2 seconds", or "I set/delay the subtitles to appear 2 seconds after the audio".

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    Thanks.
    Can I say:
    You can also advance the subtitles by two seconds.
    No, because that would suggest that you had simply moved forward 2 seconds in the subtitles, in the same way that if you said "advance the video by two seconds" it would mean to jump forward 2 seconds. That wouldn't convey what you want to say.

keramus

Persian
    No, because that would suggest that you had simply moved forward 2 seconds in the subtitles, in the same way that if you said "advance the video by two seconds" it would mean to jump forward 2 seconds. That wouldn't convey what you want to say.
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.
    I want to say the antonym of "delay". Is the sentence "You can also advance the subtitles by two seconds." correct if I want to make the opposite point?
    I mean you can see the subtitles before the audio.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In this sentence "advance" does not have the meaning you want. Post #5 explains what "advance" means here.

Providing an additional explanation to us (as you do in #6) makes us understand you. But it does not help anyone else reading the sentence. "What you want to mean" is not "what the reader understands". This is a constant problem for any writer -- to use phrases everyone will understand.

"Advance" is an antonym of "delay" in some sentences, but not everywhere. This is true of all antonym pairs -- they have two problems:
    (1) in many sentences, one of the words is usable while the other one isn't usable
    (2) in many sentences where they are both usable, they do not both have their "antonym" meanings

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thanks.
    Can I say: You can also advance the subtitles by two seconds.
    I just wanted to change the original sentence by saying the antonym of "delay".
    It was this question I asked about, that you repeated
    "Is the sentence "You can also advance the subtitles by two seconds." correct"

< Previous | Next >