Administer drug, poison etc

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
Hi everyone.
This is what I get from a dictionary.

to give drugs, medicine, etc. to someone

Police believe his wife could not have administered the poison.

I was wondering whether only doctors, nurses can administer drugs or ordinary people can administer drugs too?
Sample sentence:

I administered antibiotics to my brother.

• Copyright

American English
    Anyone can administer drugs or medicines or poisons to someone else, in the right circumstances. It's just a physical action.

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Anyone can administer drugs or medicines or poisons to someone else, in the right circumstances. It's just a physical action.
    Hi Copyright,
    What do you mean by physical action?
    Is my following sentence correct?

I administered antibiotics to my brother. (I gave antibiotics to my brother.)

baldpate

UK, English
    Suppose you bought a packet of antibiotics, handed them to your brother, who then voluntarily took one with a glass of water : you then certainly gave antibiotics to your brother, but you did not administer them. Your brother administered the antibiotic to himself.

If, however, you grabbed his hair, pulled his head back, placed several pills on his tongue and forced him to swallow them, then you could correctly say "I administered antibiotics to my brother".

So, it depends on the circumstance. As Copyright said "Anyone can administer drugs or medicines or poisons to someone else, in the right circumstances."

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Suppose you bought a packet of antibiotics, handed them to your brother, who then voluntarily took one with a glass of water : you then certainly gave antibiotics to your brother, but you did not administer them. Your brother administered the antibiotic to himself.

If, however, you grabbed his hair, pulled his head back, placed several pills on his tongue and forced him to swallow them, then you could correctly say "I administered antibiotics to my brother".

So, it depends on the circumstance. As Copyright said "Anyone can administer drugs or medicines or poisons to someone else, in the right circumstances."
    Very clear.
    Thanks very much for your detailed explanation.

< Previous | Next >