administer medicine

esegesi

Italian
Hi, people. Well, I know that "administer a medicine to a patient" should be correct, but I found also "administer a patient with medicine". Is that acceptable? Thank you very much in advance

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi, people. Well, I know that "administer a medicine to a patient" should be correct, but I found also "administer a patient with medicine". Is that acceptable? Thank you very much in advance
    No, "administer with" would be incorrect in this context. You administer something to someone. You don't administer someone with something.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    You can 'dose' a patient with medicine
    Hi Suehil. My understanding is that this phrase is no longer in use because it has the negative connotation of doctors over-prescribing drugs to patients. A patient can still be given a "dose" of medicine but the phrase to "dose a patient" is not in frequent use (at least in North America).

Suehil

Medemod
    British English
    In BE it would be used, but in a slightly different context (e.g. you would 'dose' your dog for worms). I just wanted to point out that the construction would be correct.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    In BE it would be used, but in a slightly different context (e.g. you would 'dose' your dog for worms). I just wanted to point out that the construction would be correct.
    Ah, yes, well you'd probably use it that way in Canada too. We don't have to be quite so politically correct with our pets.:)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Patients might describe themselves as being "dosed with antibiotics", "dosed with painkillers", "dosed with antihistamines" ... just to recall a few examples. But I agree that doctors don't dose patients, except when someone else is being critical about their behaviour.

Stretching frantically for the topic - the object of administer is the thing that is administered.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Narcan is a special narcotic drug that reverses the effects of narcotic substances such as heroin. It is often used to treat drug overdose or diagnostic narcotic drug addiction. Previously, Narcan was only allowed to be used by paramedics or physicians because it is a prescription drug. However, now emergency first responders can be trained to carry and administer the drug to combat the epidemic of opiate-related deaths in our area.

Putnam County Sheriff’s Deputies Train to Administer Drug That Reverses Heroin ODs

What does "administer" actually mean"? I can't decide between "writing out a prescription" or "putting the correct medication in the bottle" (filling out a prescription).

Andygc

British English
    What does "administer" actually mean"? I can't decide between "writing out a prescription" or "putting the correct medication in the bottle" (filling out a prescription).
    Neither. It means to give the medicine to the patient. In this case, it's an injection.

< Previous | Next >